• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight loom troubles

keel5

Member #1064
I made up a HD loom for my headlights. Just like one gojeep. I used two 30A relays, 12 gage wire for the feeds, and 14 gage wire for the trips. The only thing is the F#*@ING thing is giving me a headache.

The problem in a nut shell is that if I don't have a bulb in the stock socket I get a little over 6 volt to the stock high beam wire even with just the parking lights on. With that voltage there it pulls in the high beam relay and keeps the high beam lit. If I put the bulb back in the stock socket I only get milli-volts and every thing is fine.

I tried to run the trip ground down to the stock socket and the voltage dropped to around 3 volts. this was not enough to pull in the relay but if I put the high beams on they would not shut off. Also, If I had nothing in the socket the head light delay (little silver box under the light switch behind the dash) would buzz with just the parking lights on and stop if I pulled the switch all the way out.

Please help because the lights with the 12.5 volts they got with the new wires is much better then the 9 volts they get without it.

This is a very basic diagram of how you should have it done. I can't rember what termanal is which on the plug end of the harness, or the factory wire colors. I do know that the ground is black though. Tomarrow when it gets light out I will look for you, and post it tomarrow evening. If someone doesn't reply with it first. It might be hard to read the numbers on the pic.

untitled.bmp

:EDIT: well that was useless you cant reaqd them at all, but you can see how it was wired. The red is HIGH, the vilot is LOW, black is GROUND.
:EDIT; Here is a site that has good diagrams to double check your wiring to. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html

Last edited:
Thats a hard picture to see but thats exactly how I have it wired. It just seems like the truck wants to see a headlight in the stock socket or it sends 6 volt down the high beam wire with the switch in any position but off. If I put a bulb in the stock socket it send something like 3 MV. When I disconnect the new loom and just use the stock wires and socket every thing works perfect except for the low voltage.

Try grounding the relays on there own spot. If you are using the stock ground wire for the relay ground it may be back feading somehow through the relay. I grounded my relays to the body with the mounting screws, and put the new [head light] harness grounds on the screws that the originals are grounded with. BTW the parking kights will still need the original grounds attatched to work properly.

I tried it with the relays grounded to the body and the relays grounded to the stock socket. I didn't touch the parking lights.

I am going to try to put a resister between the trip and ground at one of the relays to trick the truck in to thinking there is a headlight there

in cases like this i usually rip everything out from the engine bay and start from scratch, that helps most of the time....:)

keel5, I owe you an apolgy. I forgot all about getting any pics for you today. It rained almost all day, and I didn't get to do anything outside. Have you had any luck yet? If I could acually look, and do some testing I would be able to figure it out in no time. If in the end it still isn't working you may have to just redo it.

Ok, now on to the task at hand. How do you have the grounds for the new harness hooked up, and do you have the originals hooked up too?

Scooby, Don't worry about not getting pictures for me. I know I built my new harness correctly. My problem is with the stock wiring. I don't have daytime running lights. There is no voltage on any of the wires when the switch is off or the switch in the parking light position. when I pull both bulbs out of the stock sockets I get 6 volts on the high beam wire when the switch is in the parking or headlights on low beam. When I put the lights on high beam I get like 9.5 volts on the hight beam wire. This is the problem. When I hook up the new harness that 6 volts pulls in the high beam relay and it wont shut off.

Back