• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom FIPK write up...

XJ_ranger

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
hey - here is some more of my garbage.
did this about 1.5 months ago and just now found the time to write it up.

http://www.opiebennett.com/customfipk.htm

search keywords:
Cone filter, 3" tube, FIPK, PCV, Positive Crankcase Ventilation, Air Intake, air tube, hose clamp, hose barb, TBI, breathe, Air Sucker <-- that is a joke...

I'm planning on doing this is 2 weeks when I get my check. But I have a quik question. With the FIPK and a cat back exhaust will it make my engine run dangurously lean with stock injectors or will i be fine.

What is the outside diameter of the pipe, pipe is measured by inside diameter up to 12 inch... I plan on using 3 inch carbon pipe that i can powdercoat.

Cory

robz95xj said:
I'm planning on doing this is 2 weeks when I get my check. But I have a quik question. With the FIPK and a cat back exhaust will it make my engine run dangurously lean with stock injectors or will i be fine.

No, you have to work alot harder than that to make it run lean.

I have an 87, there are two little vacuum lines that plug into some sort of valve on the old air box.

What do you do with them?

Cory

What I find very Funny is I Hydrolocked my engine very close to where he did out Prairie City OHV Park also, that is why I think this is a great Idea but I want mine to be higher. Maybe up by the windshield wipers.

I did this and it toasted my mpg. Thought maybe it was a coincedence and put in new O2 sensors - - no help. I'm getting maybe 15 mpg, and prior to the fipk and conical airfilter I was getting an easy 18.

Did you find a reduction in gas mileage?

CSaddict,

Thanks for the input, the monster 3/8" lines are not the lines in question...

Let me rephrase this...

There are two little like 1/8" or smaller vaccum lines on the rear of the box right next to each other that go into a small valve thing inside the box. What to do with them??

tdr1213,

What year is your XJ? I only have one O2 sensor, yours must be newer then the renix.

Cory

i actualy didnt notice a change in gas mileage at all, i got 17-19 before and get 16-18 now (i also finished my front end lift and put my front DS back on, as well as swaped the ford 9" in the rear end with lower gears, so i attribute the loss of mileage to the slightly higher revs on the highway as well as added wind resistance)

i only had the 2 hoses, for the EGR and the PCV, so i dont know what the others are - though i recall when making a simialr set up for a buddy's ford exploder that there were two lines that controled where the air was taken from - hot air off the exhasut to help warm up a cold engine and cold air from the front of the box after the engine was warm - something about emissions...

on the explorer, we caped the lines and called it good...

where do the lines go? trace them and take a picture of what you are looking at...

and yes - all my website photo's are taken a 1200x1600 and then shrunk to 120x160 thumbnails...
thumbnails are too small for the forum and the full size image always gets people bitching at me... so i use links most times...
and refuse to host 3 sizes of the same image...

i still need to make the heat sheild, i think this will protect me and might give me some more gassmileage back (maybe?)

on the highway - it seems to pull a little harder where on city streets, it is the same...
:shrug:

I did this about a year ago on my '98 and it improved the mileage by 2mpg. Here's my write-up...
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/349289/3

After wheelin' it and getting the filter all muddy and wet, I picked up a stock airbox from a bone yard to enclose the filter. Blocked the low intake hole in the front and put a larger hole with a intake tube on top of the box. It is much quieter now and it didn't degrade the better mileage I was getting.

csr_011: I picked up a Rusty's XJ air tube for my '90 Comanche. It says the two small vacuum lines running to the back of the airbox can be followed back to the intake manifold and blocked. I know that 91 and newer XJ/MJ's don't have these two small vacuum lines.

tetsulo

Thanks Tetsulo, that was the plan i had in mind, just thought i would ask.

Im hoping to have it done thursday afternoon. I will have pics up on the net when finished.

Cory

Last edited:
Back