• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Couple Ford rear axle questions

GottaBeJeep

NAXJA Forum User
Went picking around the junkyard the other day look for full widths (looking for HP44 and 9"). Found a complete 9" out of a 1980 F100 pickup, which looked to be about 64-65" WMS/WMS. It had 2:72 gears (no big deal, throwing in 5:13's), but I just wanted to check with you axle gurus if this is the big bearing and 31 spline axle. I'm pretty sure the 1980 F100 pickup 9" have the wanted traits, but I couldn't find anything for this particular truck through my countless pages of searching through hear and PBB. The yard wanted $150, they pull it, tear it apart, check it over, and warranty if for 90 days. Good deal?

I also noticed a late model Ford Expedition with an 8.8 and discs, but in the full width flavor. Any thoughts on these? Are they just like the Ford Exploder 8.8's, just wider?

And one more. There was a Bronco (either 80 or 82) with a front D44. Any info on this axle? Again, my searches only brought up info on 77-79 HP44's, so an 80-82 has me stumped.

Thanks

GottaBeJeep said:
Went picking around the junkyard the other day look for full widths (looking for HP44 and 9"). Found a complete 9" out of a 1980 F100 pickup, which looked to be about 64-65" WMS/WMS. It had 2:72 gears (no big deal, throwing in 5:13's), but I just wanted to check with you axle gurus if this is the big bearing and 31 spline axle. I'm pretty sure the 1980 F100 pickup 9" have the wanted traits, but I couldn't find anything for this particular truck through my countless pages of searching through hear and PBB. The yard wanted $150, they pull it, tear it apart, check it over, and warranty if for 90 days. Good deal?

I also noticed a late model Ford Expedition with an 8.8 and discs, but in the full width flavor. Any thoughts on these? Are they just like the Ford Exploder 8.8's, just wider?

And one more. There was a Bronco (either 80 or 82) with a front D44. Any info on this axle? Again, my searches only brought up info on 77-79 HP44's, so an 80-82 has me stumped.

Thanks

i think thats the first years they made the ford TTB or whatever its called... that dana 44 could be a swapped in one...

GottaBeJeep said:

The '80 F100 will have the big bearings - but it is possible that it is 28 spline. I do recall seeing '78-'79 F150 9" with 31 spline and '79 F100 9" with 28. It seems to me that was one of the sales/marketing pitches for buying a 150 over a 100 back when there was both available. Bonus points for anyone who knows why the F150 was added to the F series lineup when there was aleady a 1/2 ton F100 available!

'80 and up Broncos should have a D44 TTB front axle as factory equipment. It is fairly easy and popular to do a SAS on them with 76-79 F150 axles. I wonder if that is what you are looking at.

GottaBeJeep said:

Thanks

I wouldn't bother with this 8.8. The 9.675 that came in these trucks is much stouter (34 spline shafts) and has the same odd-ball metric bolt pattern. Get the bigger unit if you can and re-drill for 5 on 5.5".

CRASH

Back