• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas Tank Size

UNCC_99XJ

Twisted Up
NAXJA Member
What is the size of the gas tank in a 99? It's all stock. Been trying to figure out exactly how bad my milage is but I don't know the size of my tank....didn't see it in the owners manual either. Sorry if this has already been asked.

20 gallons

Lemme guess--you want to use your gas guage to figure out how many gallons you used in a certain number of miles, right? That's NOT the way to figure out fuel economy. Here we go again with how to calculate mileage:

DON'T assume that the gas guage in ANY car is accurate. For example, if the tank says "1/2", and the tank holds 20 gallons, it's WRONG to assume that the tank has 10 gallons of gas in it. Guages are SO imprecise that the actual amount in the tank may be anywhere from 8 to 12 gallons. The gas guage is a general indicator of tank status, but is NOT a precise measuring instrument. Worse yet, no two vehicles of the same make and model will have gas guages that behave the same, so owning one year and model of car will NOT allow you to apply the behavior to another.

So you want to figure out your mileage? Here is the CORRECT way:

1. Fill your tank up at the gas station all the way to the top. I mean literally ALL the way up to where you can see gas in the tank filler neck.
2. Mark down your odometer mileage of when the tank is filled as described above.
3. Drive around until you have used up a bunch of that tankfull. The closer you are to "E" when you refill, the more accurate the calculations will be.
4. Refill your tank at the gas station, and again try to get the gas level to the SAME as it was the first time: up in the filler neck. Write down the total amount of gas the pump says you put in this time.
5. Mark down your odometer mileage again.
6. Take the odometer reading from the first time you filled the tank, and subtract it from the reading at the second fill. This is the number of miles you drove between fill-ups.
7. Now take the number of miles driven between fill-ups, and divide it by the number of gallons you put in the tank on the SECOND fil-up. The result will be your miles-per-gallon.

AZ Jeff said:
Lemme guess--you want to use your gas guage to figure out how many gallons you used in a certain number of miles, right? That's NOT the way to figure out fuel economy. Here we go again with how to calculate mileage:

DON'T assume that the gas guage in ANY car is accurate. For example, if the tank says "1/2", and the tank holds 20 gallons, it's WRONG to assume that the tank has 10 gallons of gas in it. Guages are SO imprecise that the actual amount in the tank may be anywhere from 8 to 12 gallons. The gas guage is a general indicator of tank status, but is NOT a precise measuring instrument. Worse yet, no two vehicles of the same make and model will have gas guages that behave the same, so owning one year and model of car will NOT allow you to apply the behavior to another.

So you want to figure out your mileage? Here is the CORRECT way:

1. Fill your tank up at the gas station all the way to the top. I mean literally ALL the way up to where you can see gas in the tank filler neck.
2. Mark down your odometer mileage of when the tank is filled as described above.
3. Drive around until you have used up a bunch of that tankfull. The closer you are to "E" when you refill, the more accurate the calculations will be.
4. Refill your tank at the gas station, and again try to get the gas level to the SAME as it was the first time: up in the filler neck. Write down the total amount of gas the pump says you put in this time.
5. Mark down your odometer mileage again.
6. Take the odometer reading from the first time you filled the tank, and subtract it from the reading at the second fill. This is the number of miles you drove between fill-ups.
7. Now take the number of miles driven between fill-ups, and divide it by the number of gallons you put in the tank on the SECOND fil-up. The result will be your miles-per-gallon.

maybe he wanted to know how big his gas tank was to see how bad it had been dented...
:dunno:

Yes indeed, it's 20.2 US gallons or 75.7 liters. The markings on the gauge and the approximate amount of fuel left in the tank are as follows:

3/4: 16 gallons
1/2: 11 gallons
1/4: 6 gallons
Low fuel warning light: 4 gallons

Thanks to all for your input.

The reason I asked is cause I filled up this morning. Been running it with the light on for a couple of days now, and but 18.5 gallons in this morning, and according to my odometer (which I reset at every fill-up), I got 175 miles out of this tank (up from the 150 it was last time.....but still pretty damn bad). So if you do the math, that makes it 9.45MPG......horrible! I'm pretty sure the 60K service HAS NOT been done to my Jeep, so I do plan on doing that (chaning plugs and stuff) shortly. Put a new air filter in about a week ago and haven't noticed a huge improvement. Any other ideas?

It's very much stock. And I don't drive like i'm in the Daytona 500, unlike most kids my age.

You just said in another thread that your alignment is off and the tires are (or were) underinflated, amongst other things. The alignment can cause a drop in mileage, as can underinflated tires. I don't know that it cause a drop that big, but its worth a look...Mine has dropped recently as well, though, not to 9. I'm still at around 13-14 mpg. I'm used to 15-17. I also noticed my alignment seems a bit off, I got the wheel turned about to 11:00 to go straight down the road...

BlackSport96 said:
You just said in another thread that your alignment is off and the tires are (or were) underinflated, amongst other things. The alignment can cause a drop in mileage, as can underinflated tires. I don't know that it cause a drop that big, but its worth a look...Mine has dropped recently as well, though, not to 9. I'm still at around 13-14 mpg. I'm used to 15-17. I also noticed my alignment seems a bit off, I got the wheel turned about to 11:00 to go straight down the road...

That is exactly where I have to keep my wheel turned in order to drive straight. Where do you usually go to get an alignment? I could do it myself, But I don't really have a whole lot of time.

Problem with the tires is the max air pressure is 35psi cold. So I can't run the 38 i'd like to (POS tires). Plus the closest gas station is 2 miles away from here, so my tires are pretty warm by the time I get down there to air them up, so I can't get a good reading.

2 miles to the station is not going to heat up your tires enough to significantly affect pressure. And 35 psi is too high for stock size tires.

You asked for suggestions about why your mileage is poor: (1) Oxygen sensor needs replacement, (2) Possibly a clogged catalytic converter.

Eagle said:
You asked for suggestions about why your mileage is poor: (1) Oxygen sensor needs replacement, (2) Possibly a clogged catalytic converter.

Could the oxygen sensor go bad and not trip the check engine light?

Yes, also a can of BG44K will clean your injectors. It works wonders. It should for $18 a can.

Kent_M said:
Could the oxygen sensor go bad and not trip the check engine light?

Exactly what I was thinking. I thought that would automatically trip the light to come on?

old_man said:
Yes, also a can of BG44K will clean your injectors. It works wonders. It should for $18 a can.

Yikes, $18 is a little pricey, but hey if the stuff works. Can it be found at just about any autoparts store?

Eagle said:
2 miles to the station is not going to heat up your tires enough to significantly affect pressure. And 35 psi is too high for stock size tires.

Almost forgot, the pewvious owner took the stock rims off and replaced them with the stock ones of an older XJ Laredo. I don't know if these are smaller than the stock ones that came on the 99's, but the tires on there now are P225/75/R16 Uniroyal Laredo's.....basically street tires.

I would really like to know if the rim sizes are the same, and what they max tire size i can fit under there w.o rubbing is. I would love to find a set of OEM rims off a Classic of the same era and put them on, as IMO, they look much much better.

I now thats kinda off topic, but why make a new thread?

Here's my XJ. Note the rims. http://img207.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img207&image=xjleft1xv.jpg

CaptTrev said:
those look like ZJ grand cherokee wheels, not XJ wheels. . .

Well either way I want some better ones. Could these be one of the sources of my death wobble? It's a long shot, but is it possible?

Time to check your odometer. It's the over all tire diameter that makes the difference in the accuracy of your speedo and odometer. Wider tire width may cause a little more drag, along with wheel design (but not much).

Check your odometer while driving on a road with milepost markers. Check it on a ten mile stretch and do it twice in different areas because sometimes markers are off a bit.

Check your speedometer by using a stopwatch to count the seconds between mileposts (this is hard - you might want a friend to help you because you have to keep a steady speed). The formula you use to figure your actual speed is the seconds between posts divided into 3600, which is the number of seconds in an hour.

For example, 60 seconds between posts divided into 3600 equals 60 mph or one mile per minute. 55 seconds equals 65.45 mph. 65 seconds will come to 55.4 mph.

The two paragraphs above will give you an idea of how accurate your speedometer is.

I agree with what was said about the O2 sensor. The engine may run quite well but rich. Plugs may look good but have carbon showing on outer edge (threads).

My two cents worth,
RangerRick

I'll have to give that a try, thanks RangerRick.

I went and filled up today and added a bottle of STP Fuel Injector cleaner ($2.50, can't really go wrong). I wasted the first bottle cause I forgot the flapper is wearing out on my gas tank and the bottle didn't have a long enough neck to open it up. So I cleaned that up and got anoter bottle and a funnel this time, and now it's all in there. So we'll see how this does. I couldn't find the other stuff, the BG 44K stuff, so I had to go with the next best thing. Hopefully this will help.

Gas tank size is listed as 20.2 gallons. Then also add 10% for expantion to that. So about 22 or so gallons up to the neck. I once put 21.6 gallons in my 84XJ.

Back