• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0l Question!!!!!!!!!!

chicken's96xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 cherokee with a 4.0L in it right now, i have a newer 4.0L available to me, i know the newer style uses distributor-less ignition and i was wondering if it is still possible to use my old style distributor in the newer engine? Thanks all in advance-Danny

2000+ the first year for the coil on plug ignition/distributorless. As long as you use your ECU the 96 igition will fit and work on the block. PS if it is a ZJ 4.0 it may be a 99 I think they went coil on plug a year earlyer.

chicken's96xj said:
I have a 96 cherokee with a 4.0L in it right now, i have a newer 4.0L available to me, i know the newer style uses distributor-less ignition and i was wondering if it is still possible to use my old style distributor in the newer engine? Thanks all in advance-Danny

Yes you can. I built my stroker on a '00 block and i reused my original '92 distributor.

263hp@4900/321lbft@3300-3800, 1/4 mile = [email protected], 0-60 = 5.7secs
Websites - Jeep 4.0 Performance, 4.6L Stroker Build-Up, Dino's Jeep Tricks

Back