• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

darn heater and tranny

davidt

NAXJA Forum User
My heater was working just a few days ago, but now it has stopped working. I checked the fuse and even looked for loose wires. I am at my wits end, anybody have any clues? I also have a problem with tranny fluid leaking onto the fuse box causing some fuses to short. I replaced the master cylinder and the boot, and it still leaks. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

A couple of things need clarifying. What is it about the heater that doesn't work? No heat at all? No fan? Fan only on high? Coming out the wrong vent?

For no fan at all, the quickest test is to unplug the fan and check if it runs when wired directly to 12 volts. If it doesn't, your fan motor is dead. If it does, look for a wiring fault, or perhaps a bad fan switch. For fan only on high, the problem is the resistor pack (located on heater beneath the glove box - follow the wires to a small dome-like cover. It's under that). Coming out the wrong vent = a vacuum problem. Look first at the line that runs beneath the battery and runs to the vacuum reservoir behind the right front bumper. The line can be eaten up by battery leakage, and the reservoir can crack. For no heat at all, first check your coolant level, then check the vacuum operated valve in the engine compartment.

When you say "tranny fluid," and refer to the master cylinder, I hope you are just being sloppy in your description and are actually saying you replaced the clutch master cylinder and filled it with BRAKE fluid. If not, more information is needed here too.

The fan doesn't blow at all, but I can feel heat coming out of the vent. Where is the fan located? Yes i was referring to the clutch MC, I just typed it out as I was on the way out the door, and yes I am putting brake fluid in it. Thanks for all of your help matt. David

Back