• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 xj w/ timing issue.

nakedtech

NAXJA Forum User
I need info on how in the world do I time my 88' 4.0 xj. The manual says no timing needed. Then how in the heck is it I can turn the distributer back and forth and mess everything up? I've got it running somewhat smooth but not as responsive as before. I replaced the motor not long ago and have been dealing with a slight miss since. My idle also fluctuates between 300 and 800rpm. The tcs is adjusted correctly and is new as is the ics. Anyone have the timing light specs and/or any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Ken

You should not be able to turn the distributor, because there's a nub on the distributor housing that's supposed to prevent that. It should be able to go only one way.

There was an old TSB about "indexing" the distributor, and if it was found to be off (usually because of aftermarket camshafts, but this was a factory TSB so there must have been some OEM problems as well), then the locator was ground off and the TSB procedure followed.

Basically, you will need a spare distributor cap and a feeler gauge. Cut away the side of the cap to expose the copper contact for the #1 cylinder, but be sure to leave enough material on the top to keep the contact in place.

Crank the engine around until you have the #1 piston coming up on the compression stroke, then turn it manually with a wrench on the harminic balancer bolt until you have the timing mark exactly at TDC. Now look at where the tip of the rotor is relative to the #1 contact in the distributor cap. You want to adjust the distributor body until the tip of the rotor is just PAST the contact, with a clearance of 0.020"

Back