• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rustys 9" coils

texasxj

NAXJA Forum User
does anyone run the rustys 9" coils? Or know how good they are? Plan on going w/ rc-6.5 or ro-9. not interested in kit because of custom front and rear-78 bronco 44 front+radius arms + 14 rear w/leaves/shackles thx

texasxj said:
does anyone run the rustys 9" coils? Or know how good they are? Plan on going w/ rc-6.5 or ro-9. not interested in kit because of custom front and rear-78 bronco 44 front+radius arms + 14 rear w/leaves/shackles thx

The first thing I would find out is the spring rate.

At that kind of lift height, I wouldn't use anything less than 260 lbs/inch

CRASH

CRASH said:
The first thing I would find out is the spring rate.

At that kind of lift height, I wouldn't use anything less than 260 lbs/inch

CRASH

yeah i'm curious too

I just ordered some today. They have a 180 lb. spring rate and around 22" free length. I should have them on this weekend. I'll get measurements and pics when I install them.

I'm currently running 4" Trailmaster coils, 2" spacers, 4" drop brackets, custom length UCA's and LCA's for 8+" of lift w/RE high angle joints on both ends of the lowers and on the unibody end of the uppers.

Brad

Last edited:
BMP_Racing said:
They have a 180 lb. spring rate and around 22" free length.
Brad

Hmmmmm....those 2 numbers don't make sense together.

My 8 Skyjackers are 22.5" and are 250 lbs/in.

180 is very,very,very soft. Stock is like 160. When you measure the coil diameter and overall diameter, post the numbers and I'll run the spring rate calculation. Also, count the number of wraps.

CRASH

P.S. I find the SJ rate to be the finest rate available for a semi-tall rock rig. Goat and I are both thrilled with the the rate, and his is a bit stiffer than mine since he cut a coil off. It is a night and day difference in roll control in the rocks from the RE ZJ 4.5" spring.

I have them and have had them since may or june. They are stiffer than RE 7.5 coils. They have a thicker spring wire diameter also. Not sure what the spring rate is but they handle real well on the street not mushy in the corners (I do not run sway bars) like the RE's. I think the RE's flex better on the trail but all in all I am happy with them.
Hope this helps.
Chill,
RonS

CRASH said:
Hmmmmm....those 2 numbers don't make sense together.

My 8 Skyjackers are 22.5" and are 250 lbs/in.

180 is very,very,very soft. Stock is like 160. When you measure the coil diameter and overall diameter, post the numbers and I'll run the spring rate calculation. Also, count the number of wraps.

CRASH

P.S. I find the SJ rate to be the finest rate available for a semi-tall rock rig. Goat and I are both thrilled with the the rate, and his is a bit stiffer than mine since he cut a coil off. It is a night and day difference in roll control in the rocks from the RE ZJ 4.5" spring.

I 2nd Crash's SJ post. I love my 8" SJ coils, alot better than my 4.5" RE ZJ coils & 2" spacers. I didn't have a sway bar with either and I don't think I need one. This is just my trail xj, so I can deal with the ride. I drove it 500 miles down to San Diego with both my hp44/9" on the passenger side. The pass side was down 3" or so lower than my driver side, but it rode o.k. I couldn't help it, I had 3 37" mtrs on 8" beadlock rims, 1 35" tire and 1 rimed 33x12.50x15 bfg mt on a 10" rim with me in the xj (pretty cozy in there). :laugh3:

CRASH said:

I'll shoot that information over to you when they come in. I know it said 180 lbs. on Rusty's site and he told me that the free length was around 22" when I ordered. I'll get you the exact size of everything when they come in. Thanks Crash!

Brad

hope there not too soft because they are going to be holding up a 350!!! as far as road manners go-they dont matter-my xj is far from street legal and it has a nice trailer to roll on!!!

The Coils Are In!

The wire is .719 dia. and the free length is 23.5". I count 12 coils? Starting at the bottm end wire to the top right? I'll send a pic.

465047_15_full.jpg

I should have them on tomorrow or Saturday.

Brad

Last edited:
I have em in my 96', they (on the box) said to be 220lb load. Exact length dry? No idea, but it took the Skycrapper 8" leafs, RE Shackles, and a 1" block to level out with the front that have spring only. The only thing stiffer IMO are the superstiff (superlift) springs. They are REALLY stiff, so much that at the height Im running with 35's and no swaybars, I dont even notice the swaybars are missing.

I have heard good things on these springs. I run his 6.5" coils and love them. great flex and good ride quality...little soft with out the swaybar, but tolerable.

hehe sounds good-prob be mid summer before i get to suspension

thinking about roughcountry 6.5" leaves,current 2.5 blocks and some 2" shackles. may not need that much in the back because it is going to be lighter. front will have 350 and th350 to weigh it down. gimme some ideas for the back.

Last edited:
Thanks Crash for the link. I was thinking they were around 5.75" in dia. I will verify tomorrow. I can't wait to get these put on!

Brad

Badcop said:
the Skycrapper 8" leafs

Skyjacker's 8" leafs are actually only 7.5". Are these new 9" coils with old leaf springs? That might be a reason why they don't sit even (but I've had good luck with Skyjacker leafs holding their height for a while).

Mog portals??? Are you asking how the coils would sit with these axles under them? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that what's under the coils doesn't matter- it's unsprung weight.

Back