• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 Wagoneer headlights work but not dash lights

AmyEllen

NAXJA Forum User
Hmmh, my dash lights don't work when the headlights are on. The radio (original) display doesn't work when the headlights are on but the radio does play. Brake and tail lights are fine...so, I bought a new headlight switch. I have removed the knob, depressed the button but am stuck trying to get that big round screw off. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't have a screwdriver that long and a quarter or penny is just starting to wear away the metal. It is the ferrule screw.

Also, does anyone have any other thoughts on the no dash lights when the headlights are on?

Thanks,
Amy

There is a coil (variable resisitor) behind the headlight switch, that is the dimmer. My dimmer coil was burnt through and my dash lights weren´t working.
There is a fuse ,marked "Instr Lps" 5 amp that´s after the variable resisitor, the dimmer coil gets it´s power the same place the headlights do, but there is a fuse between te dimmer and the panel lights.
I´ve got big hands and replacing the headlight switch was a real pain.

Sounds like you have the right advice, my 88 will work if you turn the lights to full brightness, just before the dome light comes on. My understanding is this is a common failure.

Is yours a manual or automatic? The reason I ask is there is also a condition that happens to manual equipped jeeps that is the result of a Clutch master Cylinder leaking out the back. The fluid then runs down onto and into the fuse panal which can cause the plastic on the fuses to breakdown and cause a residue to accumulate on the fuse terminals causing intermitant electrical problems.

HTH

Its automatic. I finally got the ferrule nut off but haven't rewired the new switch. It was cold last night out there!

Thanks,
Amy

Hi I have a similar issue. Have a 95 automatic.The outside lights and dome lights all work fine. However.. the dash light for the a/c heat does not come on at all.
The gas/speedo light is dim dim dim. The shifter lights are real bright. But no lights on the four wheel drive shift. Teh headlight On/Off works good. But turned to almost putting the overhead light on the dash is still dim.Any suggestions

i had the same problem with my 89 waggy and the dash lights would come and go till they decided to go for good replaced the switch it is a bitch and the instructions are useless i just unscrewed it from the front pulled the plunger out and the reached up behind and yank that SOB outta there and slammed the new one in and its been fine ever since

all i can say is good luck

Back