• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

electrical accessorie question

generalleexj

NAXJA Forum User
ok well i was wondering what the limit is for having accessories...
i have 2 12 inch XPLOID subs , 4 hella lights, and 2 KC lights all hooked up to my battery, will i ever need to get something bigger like a better alternator, or bigger battery or something ? could i mess anything up by diong this ?

It depends on how big of amp you have for the subs. The stock alternator puts out 90 amps of power. That is not enough for extra lights and amplifier, so your lights will dim alot when the bass hits a low note. I had two massive amplifiers and some cheap fog lamps and when the amps hit low the gauge went into the red and the lights dimmed alot. I also had a 5 farad capacitor and and optima red top which helped. However this was still not good on the alternator and it started to whine. I found out that you can take your alternator to some shops that rebuild alternators and they can rebuild yours for High Output which will help you.

Like jeep1947 said, the subs don't matter. It's how much the amp that powers them draws. I personally run one pair of Hella 550's, an 800 watt amp(can't remember the draw for it), an upgraded in dash stereo, and the stock electrical stuff. I think it's too much. I've upgraded the wiring and got better(still not an Optima...) battery, but if I had the money it would definitely have a better alternator. If I drive with all of it on my lights will dim each time I get a bass hit.

If your rig can handle all that stuff without a drop in power(indicated by the lights dimming if you don't have the guage for it) you might not have to worry about it. IMHO I would upgrade no matter what.

watts = volts x amps

800 watts = 66.7 amps at 12 volts

Stock headlights are 35 watts on low beam, 55 watts on high beam. That's only 110 watts, or about 9 amps, on high beam.

Back