• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

just ordered r+ps, ARB's, axles front and rear

steveVA

NAXJA Forum User
I just ordered all the stuff to regear and lock both my axles,, I have never done this before,, although I am very confident mechanically,, Im not sure if I should attempt this or just take it somewhere and let a Pro do it... ?? they are a 8.25 and a d30 by the way,, comments, advice
thanks

It can be done, but I'd recommend to take it to a pro.

The mechanical part of the swap will be the easy part. Getting the backlash and preload right is the elusive part.

check here for a few tips.
http://www.randysringandpinion.com/gear/g0299.shtml

I tried it in my old 87 MJ. Mechanically, the ring and pinion meshed, but the gear whine drove me nuts.

Just my .02

John

I'm considering this my self. How much did it all cost?

D30's are quite easy but the 8.25 are a real pain. Some had good experiences with Superiors....my Precisions were bad..that's my .02cents

welll

I ordered it all for 2079 thats front and rear r+p's intall kits, new 29 spline superior rear axles and the arb's he talked me out of the arb compressor and said to run the power tank or another kind of compressor, because of the arb compressor limitations.. It was Don from drivetraindirect and he was full of info, and very helpful

i didnt think ARB had a locker the 8.25

just for the 29 spline

so Im upgrading to the 29 spline superiors

I was in the same situation, and i figured i could re-gear twice my self for the cost of getting them installed. plus i would no how to do it. But all went well the first time so i never had to get a 2nd gear. And i would plan way more thime than you think it will take. Sice i have done 3 other diff's and they are all holding up. Glad i know now.

Just get the proper tools and take your time with it. Gear changing isn't black magic and everyone that can work on a vehicle can do it with a little patience. Be prepared to change your shims many, many times and don't let it bother you. I don't know about the 8.25 and can't remember about the 30, but if the shims are behind the bearings- get a set of setup bearings. I just made a set for my 44 last week.

Sean

yea tey are inside on the D30, almost wrecked my bearings trying so many times. and 8.25 uses a spanner wrench...you can make your own. i did if you want pics let me know

I just finished the same job. Thought I could do them in one weekend, didn’t go as planed. If it’s your first time, it will take time. But can be done. Recommend that when you are setting pinion depth, to write down the size of the shims you used, I find myself going back to step one because of dropped shims, or mixed up which stack I was working with. Lessons learned. I’m going to help out a buddy this weekend now. All I can say is be patient and take your time.

Back