• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Fuel Safe, or Fuel Cell

XJRubicon

NAXJA Forum User
I mashed my tank BAD....

Has anyone put either a Fuel Safe, or Fuel Cell in their cherokee?

I don't like how the stock tank is so low and prone to run into EVERYTHING.

I know I could get a new tank and build a beefy skid plate, but that just seems to me to be just another thing to get hung up on...

I was thinking of mounting a fuel safe through the floor so it would not take up so much space inside, and not hang down as far as a stock tank.

It would also be plumbed to the filler neck and need a sending unit.

Stock tank is like 12gals right? I would think I would go with a 16Gal just because.

The back of my jeep won't have as much cargo area, but im also thinking of ditching the back seat, and fabricating a permanent trail toolbox in its place. The back of my rig is for equipment, not occupants.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Osprey413 said:
My only thought is that the '87 comes with a 16 gallon tank stock. Other than that I have no opinion.

Hah, well i don't doubt that... My tank has not taken more the 12 gals when completly empty for a long time!

mine on my 92 takes about 20 galons to fill
and acording to this:
history said:
Other functional upgrades for 1989 included two former options that were made standard. Base models received power steering and all Cherokees swapped their former 13.5-gallon fuel tank for a 20-gallon unit.

from here.

XJRubicon said:
I mashed my tank BAD....

Has anyone put either a Fuel Safe, or Fuel Cell in their cherokee?

I don't like how the stock tank is so low and prone to run into EVERYTHING.

I know I could get a new tank and build a beefy skid plate, but that just seems to me to be just another thing to get hung up on...

I was thinking of mounting a fuel safe through the floor so it would not take up so much space inside, and not hang down as far as a stock tank.

It would also be plumbed to the filler neck and need a sending unit.

Stock tank is like 12gals right? I would think I would go with a 16Gal just because.

The back of my jeep won't have as much cargo area, but im also thinking of ditching the back seat, and fabricating a permanent trail toolbox in its place. The back of my rig is for equipment, not occupants.

Thoughts? Opinions?

From your sig, it appears that your XJ is pretty tricked out to begin with. I'd do the fuel cell and be done with it. You could customize it and put the pump inside the cell or just put an inline pump in. AC Delco EP286 is a pump I've used several times on 4.0L swaps and I have one on my XJ now with the fuel cell. They seem to work good and give good reliability. Go ahead, my friend, you know you want to.

flexj said:
From your sig, it appears that your XJ is pretty tricked out to begin with. I'd do the fuel cell and be done with it. You could customize it and put the pump inside the cell or just put an inline pump in. AC Delco EP286 is a pump I've used several times on 4.0L swaps and I have one on my XJ now with the fuel cell. They seem to work good and give good reliability. Go ahead, my friend, you know you want to.

Thanks man, I was lookin to hear from someon that had done it already...
I got into the rear today and I guess I need to do some rust repair...
I might have a few pics of what I'll be doin soon!

Did you plumb your OEM fuel filter in?

Yep, used the oem bracket and filter between the pump and cell. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow night. I don't have my camera today.

First off I want you to get the bug out of my garage. How did you know all this stuff about what I want to do... :shhh:

What I'm working on is cutting a hole in the rear floor, then I'm going to run a plate between the "frame rails" box in the sides and drop a 15 gallon fuel cell in there. It won't give you too much room but will allow me to put some sort of a shelf over it and load gear in.

the plumbing to the stock filler hole will be the difficult part, I don't think you will have the angle. But you can get fuel cells with sender units that will work with your dash guage. I keep forgetting which sender it is. I think its GM but double check on that I just threw the Multi-meter on the sender wire and moved the float from top to bottom.

Lemme know how it goes.

hodge

Replace your side glass with plexi and run the filler through that.

It's a Jeepspeed thing.

CRASH said:
Replace your side glass with plexi and run the filler through that.

It's a Jeepspeed thing.

I was Just thinking that earlier tonight! actualy I was thinkin about body workin the back windows, bein a 2 door it would look more like a VAN. Then put a cool lookin filler cap on the outside. Couple of those little 10" or 12" Round windows you see on the back of old chevy vans! one for each side I think would look cool...

Or Atleast DIFFERENT :)

I expect My RCI 20 Gallon cell to be here friday, hopefully my fuel pump will get here soon too! Ordered the GM 0 - 90 ohm sender

I will have before, during, and after pics of my fuel cell install, hopefuly someday someone can get an Idea or two from it!

I'll post when I can, Peace

flexj said:
Yep, used the oem bracket and filter between the pump and cell. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow night. I don't have my camera today.

OOPPS, forgot the camera again today. I'll try again tomorrow.

great minds think alike-i was thinking about doing the same thing on my 84. i may just move the stock tank into the cab about halfway. anyway post up your results and pics fast!!!

I'm waiting for my cell to arrive!!!!! but my pump won't get here till tuesday next week.

I will be takin out the tank and maybe start on my rear shock hoops while I'm waiting. Anyone know of a good shifter boot I could use around my shock to keep out the cold?

I'll snap a few shots after everything is out.

Last edited:
Back