• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BTW.....who from Sierra Chapter is going to Moab?

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I'll be going sometime on Wed, to start wheeling on Thursday. I plan to run Cliffhanger, Hell's Revenge, and Rusty Nail/Golden Spike. I'll probably be up for a quick run on Sunday up Moab Rim or to lower Proving Ground...or maybe both. :)

Hey, Matt, are we going to do Escalator this year?

Richard G

[quote:e8768307aa="Jes"]I'll be going.
Richard, what route will you be taking out there?

Jes[/quote:e8768307aa]

I'll take Hwy 58 to Barstow, then I15 through Las Vegas, then I70 across Utah. I still need to decide exactly which days I'll be taking off and when I'll get there. When you reserve a camping spot, keep in mind that we'll be centering around the cabins, so the closer to the cabins the better.

Richard G

Richard - Banner?

Hey Richard...
If you're not going to be there 'till Wednesday, can you pass the banner off to someone going earlier? In fact, I'll be down in the L.A. area (Riverside & San Pedro) for a couple days around Sept 12~14. I could come back up 99 to B'field, pick up the banner and get it to Moab by 10-6 .... possibly by 10-5 even. Lemme know, it won't be a problem coming that route back. I go down 395 from here, but can do the other way also. In fact, I haven't been thru Yosemite in years, I just might come back that way in any event. (I wont be driving the m/h, just the XJ).
Lemme know...

Don, that would work great if you could swing through Bakersfield. Let me know when you might do it and we can hook up. If you catch me at work, I'm right next to the freeway.

Richard G
661-706-1600

Wish I could make it this year, as last year was such a blast! Unfortunately, my youngest son just started college (read $$$$), and his high school graduation Mexican Cruise damn near emptied the bank account (read $$$$ again). At least we got to go on the cruise with him :mrgreen:

I am saving my pennies for next year's 2003 Anniversary bash... I won't miss that one!

Ivan

Richard,
I'll be there starting Mon.night.
---
Has anyone taken Hwy.50 to Moab? How's the road in NV ?
Anyone done the Lehman Cave tour at Great Basin National Park near Baker NV.? Is it an active cave?
If their's a cavern enroute,I've got to do it. lol

"Loneliest Road in America" (US 50)

US 50 through Nv is known as the Loneliest Road in America, but it's good 2 lane highway, 70 mph limit once past Fallon. It lives up to it's name, but you can make good time, there's comparatively little traffic. I've done it both ways in a 30' motorhome towing the XJ, last time was 3 weeks ago from Moab to Carson City. I'll be going that way again Oct 4 or 5, will stay at the KOA in Ely one night, then on to Moab.
I believe Lehman Caves is still active with several tours given daily.

Dan...

I took Hwy 50 last year (at Don's recommendation) and it was pretty nice... long...lonely...but nice. If you want to avoid traffic, this is the route for you. If you [u:afdb7577d6][i:afdb7577d6]do[/i:afdb7577d6][/u:afdb7577d6] happen to come across someone going slow, you have about 7 miles of visibility in some areas to pass them. It was the most direct shot for me.... I'd do it again. Be sure to fuel up accordingly, gas stations are few and far between.

Ivan

Marni and I will be leaving the Saturday before and doing some exploring/hiking the days before the runs.

Matt: When are you and Jenni leaving? Maybe we can caravan together (I will be trailering the XJ behind my tundra). Also, what's the 411 on these cabins that you speak of? Do they have showers, etc?

Last time we went to Moab we took HWY 50. We went over an hour without seeing another vehicle. Also, it is open grazing land without fences. The first time you see a cow in the middle of the road while you are going 60 will make loud barking noises from your mud terrains. Recommend crossing that section of 50 during the daylight hours.

SeanP

We're planning on leaving on the Friday before. Like you we wanted to get there a little early for some relaxing exploring & sight seeing. We normally go the southern route through Bakersfield, Barstow & Vegas. It's shorter & faster for us. If you wanted to go that way & can leave a day earlier your welcome along as long as that wannabe truck can keep up with Jenis blown burb. :shock:

The cabins are not all that special. It's a little step up from tents. They have electricity I believe, but no running water. I believe all of them are booked as of now, but if we don't make it this year do you want dibs on it? The one we researved has 2 rooms. One room for you & the other for the poodles. :)

Matt

Moab

Amy and I are rolling out on Sat, Oct 5th and driving Hwy 50--probably stop near Ely. We thought about camping at Great Basin, which is absolutely beautiful (but probably closed, at least the upper campground which sits around 10,000 feet) but may end up camping near Fish lake forest if we make it that far. I've never driven 50 (that's why we're doing it!) but I've heard it's worth doing at least once.

We will likely camp a couple of nights up on the canyon rim (near Gold Bar) at a favorite spot we've been to a few times, then head down to Slickrock to camp Tues-Sat. We have a tent site for a couple nights and a cabin the last couple. Planning on running Hell's Revenge and the Sat. Poison Spider/Spike trip and whatever else we have time for. I'd love to do Moab Rim Sun a.m. if you're game Richard. Another month to go, can't wait!

Scott

Sean,
Harvest is going pretty ruff this season so far. We got a late start & we're having problems with marketing the grapes. It just seems like we're having to fight all the way through it. Any way if we're not done picking by when it's Moab time than there will be no Moab time for this boy. The damn prioritys always get in the way. The trouble is that I won't know if I'm going to use the cabin until about a week before its time. Will that be enough of a notice for you? What accomidations were you guys making?

Matt

Re: Moab

[quote:1c59c3469d="ShinyXJ"] I'd love to do Moab Rim Sun a.m. if you're game Richard. Another month to go, can't wait!

Scott[/quote:1c59c3469d]

Yeah, I'm game. We'll see who's there that wants to go, should be only a half day run. IF I don't get to sneak over to run Lower Proving Grounds sometime during the week, I'll see how many would like to do it on Sunday. We'll play it by ear.

I'm glad you and Amy are going to make it, it will be good to see you.

Richard G

Back