• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did I do something wrong?

CrappyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Guys, I've got an '01 XJ with a 4.0L. I installed a K+N aftermarket air filter for a while and still wasn't getting the performance I needed to tackle the steep hills of my choice! So I wanted to get more performance intake flow. It was recommended to port and polish the intake and exhaust on my 4.0L. My friend and I found out they used abrasive material to do it like gritty sand. So I got with my friend that tunes Hondas and we decided to try it ourselves. We got a bag of sandblasting sand took out the K+N Filter and hooked up into the intake snorkel and started the Jeep. We had to hold the gas so it would run. He wanted to let the engine suck in the sand through the intake so it would port it out and then push it out the ehxaust so it would port the exhaust manifold.

I was worried that it might cause problems but he figured it'd be OK as long as we held the accellerator pedal all the way to the floor and kept the sand moving smoothly. After running the Jeep and letting it suck in sand we got about half way through a 25 lb bag. The check engine light was on and the engine was bucking and kicking and sounding really weird. We stopped and hooked the Jeep back up normal and took off the sand supply. We tried to start it again and it was really hard. Once started it couldn't idle and kept making weird noises. We took it out and drove it and it started to make scraping and knocking noises.

Help! Can anyone tell me what to do!

My buddy only does Hondas so he doesn't know much about Jeeps. I towed my jeep back to the dealership, and told him the situation and can you believe the guy said that i voided the warranty on my jeep! WTF!
When I bought this last year, I got the extended warrenty.
I need to talk to an attorney and maybe go after Jeep or the dealer for this!

My friend, the certified Honda mechanic recommended that i leave it with his brother who he says is an ASE certified Jeep mechanic.

ANY ADVICE! HELP! PLEASE!

RIFLMAO That's the best one in a while...the exact same happened with my Yugo a few years ago. No, wait....it was already bucking and scraping and making weird noises. I think it was factory ported.

Last edited:
Sorry dude but ya probibly voided even the extended warrenty... your engins scrap... Have you considered a strocker, nows a good time...
-Steve D

dude sand in the pistons are you crazy that will f*ck up sh!t bad sand and engines don't mix.. I don't thing your buddy is very bright.... I ve never heard of anyone doing that..... I've heard of them removeing the throttal body and heads and having them ported and polished.... but never while the engine is running.. yeah hey buddy while I gun the engine pour some sand in the carb for me ok... clank clank clank clunk bang...
<<<<<<<DEAD ENGINE>>>>>>>

Holly S**T! That's hilarious, but very sad for you and your screwed Jeep.

You definitely voided the warranty. How could you not? You just pumped how many pounds of sand into your engine?! They put the filter on there to keep stuff out. Have fun getting a new engine, or using this as an excuse to build a stroker if yours is at all salvagable.....

I'm gonna laugh at this JOKE for a while!

Last edited:
I would guess the 5.0 stroker would be the only one to remove the gouges caused by the sand... if any strok is possible
-Steve D
Look on the bright side how cool would it be to have a 5.0 i6

CrappyXJ said:
Guys, I've got an '01 XJ with a 4.0L. I installed a K+N aftermarket air filter for a while and still wasn't getting the performance I needed to tackle the steep hills of my choice! So I wanted to get more performance intake flow. It was recommended to port and polish the intake and exhaust on my 4.0L. My friend and I found out they used abrasive material to do it like gritty sand. So I got with my friend that tunes Hondas and we decided to try it ourselves. We got a bag of sandblasting sand took out the K+N Filter and hooked up into the intake snorkel and started the Jeep. We had to hold the gas so it would run. He wanted to let the engine suck in the sand through the intake so it would port it out and then push it out the ehxaust so it would port the exhaust manifold.

I was worried that it might cause problems but he figured it'd be OK as long as we held the accellerator pedal all the way to the floor and kept the sand moving smoothly. After running the Jeep and letting it suck in sand we got about half way through a 25 lb bag. The check engine light was on and the engine was bucking and kicking and sounding really weird. We stopped and hooked the Jeep back up normal and took off the sand supply. We tried to start it again and it was really hard. Once started it couldn't idle and kept making weird noises. We took it out and drove it and it started to make scraping and knocking noises.

Help! Can anyone tell me what to do!

My buddy only does Hondas so he doesn't know much about Jeeps. I towed my jeep back to the dealership, and told him the situation and can you believe the guy said that i voided the warranty on my jeep! WTF!
When I bought this last year, I got the extended warrenty.
I need to talk to an attorney and maybe go after Jeep or the dealer for this!

My friend, the certified Honda mechanic recommended that i leave it with his brother who he says is an ASE certified Jeep mechanic.

ANY ADVICE! HELP! PLEASE!

Nice try...
6-9-04_022.jpg

3 years old

:D

Seriously, when I was a kid my mom got me an old Briggs engine that had a sheared crankshaft output. Me and my brother just played around, assembling and disassembling it many times and running it, just playing around with it. Then several years ago, many years since we had played with it, we found it behind a woodpile at our cabin. So, what do we do? We start disassembing it again and decide it would be fun to put a hand full of sand in the cylinder and reassemble it and see if/ how long it would run. It did, and for quite some time till we gave up and shut it down. It's still sitting there, though we haven't tried to start it latley. Man, now I realize where this mechanically destructive nature started. I guess I can just blame it on my mom.

Yea, I'm going to have to say that you are f!cked. The way you actually port and polish a head is by removing the head from the block and then using an abrasive substance. Never, and I mean never, should you EVER put anything in a cylinder other than air and gas. That sand probably shreaded your cylinders and pistons. I suprised the engine didn't shut down after the first few grains of sand. The only way I know how to fix your problem is to go buy some blinker fluid and mix it with your gas. That should seal up your cylinders and return your compression back to normal.

Olive oil works nice too. Plus its all natural so there is no hazardous waist disposal, and if you bust open the bottom of your oil pan on the trail you wont have to clean it up.

Well, that troll got a few....good for a laugh though....

azdesertrhino said:
Is this a joke or did I miss something or ?

Jim

I'm w/ you...if this isnt a joke, i'm going to have to say...WHAT IN THE H*LL WERE U GUYS THINKING!!??

Read the profile. Someone set it up just to go trolling. That's why I mentioned it being a joke in my post. Someone registered 8 days ago just to try to get everyone to respond to a tall tale and get a good laugh!

Everyone knows the sand goes up the tail pipe and you run the engine backwards. How stupid can you get!

Okay, but it was funny.....

Who cares about the guys engine? I just want to know where Gil's fish were caught? Are those Lake Trout/Macinaws?

Back