• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why A Cage (internal)

xjaddiction

NAXJA Member #666
"Pic is worth a thousand words"...

CherokeeTurtleOnItsShell.jpg

Not mine, don't know who's it is, but this is why I'm puttin' a well built cage in...

Greddy

Do you have a pic of the URF style rack? I searched to no avail. What is URF by the way? Searched for that too to no avail.

Hi All! Just wanted to bring up a point about internal Cages, having a background in road racing as a racer and an official...

I have yet to see anyone with a Jeep and internal cage setup properly... You must have at the very least high density padding on all of the parts of the cages that your body or HEAD could possibly contact in the event of an accident. On top of that, without a helmet you risk DEATH by slamming your head against the cage. Some might say, no big deal because when you are wheeling you aren't going very fast, well maybe so BUT, when you are driving to the trail on the highway and you get in an accident all bets are off.

Basic rule of thumb is with adding a full cage to modified vehicles is you have to do everything, meaning cage, padding, 5 point harness (not attached to the seat) and helmet. Everything works in conjunction as a system.

Stock vehicles built since the early 80's are safer in MOST situations than vehicles with improperly installed or incomplete safety systems. This includes restraint systems (seat belts).

My recommendation (unless you want to wear a helmet all of the time) is to copy the Wrangler style roll bar. No front down bars or cross hoop within reach of yoru head.

Dan
-------------
1991 XJ, 3 in lift, 31's, hardly any paint, almost 200k MI., bought with money from sale of race car, more improvements to be made after sale of race kart, wheeling is easier than racing, cause you can drink beer while you do it!

that video is why i dont want a roof rack

Scrappy said:
For some reason I cant find any of the aftermath.... Maybe someone else has them?

Matt

Here's the only real good pic of the cage damage that I have:
199144014SXWFfj_ph.jpg

At first I thought about trying to straighten it, but I just left it as is.

Here's a pic of me on the way to the body shop for an estimate to repair all the dents from the roll :)
JV_tippy.jpg

Notice the sheetmetal on the hood is straight. I tried my best to change that right after that shot was taken. It seems that the WCGIC thinks body damage on the hood is cool :)

Rick

Who all makes an internal roll cage? I have seen one from Rusty's and Tennessee Offroad. I wouldn't feel too confident rolling over if I welded the cage together because I am just learning.

dwebb944t said:
Hi All! Just wanted to bring up a point about internal Cages, having a background in road racing as a racer and an official...

I have yet to see anyone with a Jeep and internal cage setup properly... You must have at the very least high density padding on all of the parts of the cages that your body or HEAD could possibly contact in the event of an accident. On top of that, without a helmet you risk DEATH by slamming your head against the cage. Some might say, no big deal because when you are wheeling you aren't going very fast, well maybe so BUT, when you are driving to the trail on the highway and you get in an accident all bets are off.

Basic rule of thumb is with adding a full cage to modified vehicles is you have to do everything, meaning cage, padding, 5 point harness (not attached to the seat) and helmet. Everything works in conjunction as a system.

Stock vehicles built since the early 80's are safer in MOST situations than vehicles with improperly installed or incomplete safety systems. This includes restraint systems (seat belts).

My recommendation (unless you want to wear a helmet all of the time) is to copy the Wrangler style roll bar. No front down bars or cross hoop within reach of yoru head.

Dan
-------------
1991 XJ, 3 in lift, 31's, hardly any paint, almost 200k MI., bought with money from sale of race car, more improvements to be made after sale of race kart, wheeling is easier than racing, cause you can drink beer while you do it!
Do you know someone in NY named R i c h?

How many XJs have you seen in high speed rolls as opposed to low speed rolls as most here have been through?

Fergie

BLUE 37 said:
agreed. Even though you'd save the jeep, I'd rather just go with external protection and save all my windows.

I've seen quite a few rolled XJ's.... almost always, internal or external cage.....your gonna be puttin glass in. unless you built it damn tuff!

xjj33p3r said:
Do you have any external after shots of the roll? Other than the interior with the bent tube? I just need some ideas

That off camber shot was after the roll. You could find more pics of my XJ at webshots.com. Just search for 4x4xfun1 and you'll find them.

I was surprised how little damage I sustained from the roll. I hit every corner of the jeep and broke both side glass. Other than a dent on every corner, and a wrinkled roof above that bent bar, the jeep faired pretty well.

Rick

Rick XTRM XJ said:
That off camber shot was after the roll. You could find more pics of my XJ at webshots.com. Just search for 4x4xfun1 and you'll find them.

I was surprised how little damage I sustained from the roll. I hit every corner of the jeep and broke both side glass. Other than a dent on every corner, and a wrinkled roof above that bent bar, the jeep faired pretty well.

Rick

Here's some of my pics of the roll, and aftermath - start here http://community.webshots.com/photo/200423337/200431639PPTeoP
and the next several.
The "Chicks Dig Body Damage" sticker took on added significance :laugh3:

Back