• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant leak?

coloscott

NAXJA Forum User
I have found a puddle under the passenger front tire the past three mornings after driving. I cannot see anywhere it is originating from. The levels have not gone down, and there is no performance problems. It started as a very occasional problem (once a month). Now I have noticed it 3 days in a row? Anybody have any ideas or similar problems?

possibly a bad waterpump. Mine was bad when I bought my XJ and after the test drive it spewed forth a good sized puddle of coolant. It was supposedly fixed, but it just died again, about a year later. It would also spew coolant after driving. Fine while running but as soon as I shut it down it vomited. Check your water pump. Either way, its a cheap fix. I bought a new on at Kragen for $39.99. Easy to replace as well.

Your radiator expansion bottle may be overfull. Check it and see. Failing that, you could have a leak from any of the heater hoses, heater valve, or radiator. A leak from the water pump usually leaves a puddle right in the middle under the vehicle, not under the passenger side front tire.

I had the same puddle. It turned out it was the plastic overflow bottle. Go out and let it warm up. Then check around the down spout on the bottle. If it's dry, then that's not your leak.

I had the same thing. Quit for a while and then do it for a couple days in a row. At wits end a figuring it would fail at the worst time I went on a hunch and replaced the radiator. When I pulled the old one I found the leak, the solder on the tank on the righ hand side broke loose and was leaking, but you couldn't see it with the radiator in the jeep.

Back