• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear axle bracket set up

Fergie

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, 'bout ready to start welding things on to my Taco axle, and just want to get a general overview of procedures used to align everything properly:

Here is what I am planning:

Get the XJ up on stands in the rear. Disconnect driveline and shocks, and drop current axle out. Move it forward, out of the way, and so I wont damage any brake lines.

Loosely attach Taco axle, leaving it unbolted enough to center it, and to set the pinion angle. For the pinion angle, I am going to get an angle finder and have the pinion pointed directly at the t-case output, then lower it by 1*.

Somehow, using a level or plumb bob or what, I'll center the axle. Once I have the axle centered, and pinion angle set, tack the perches into place, and double check everything. Once that is done, then I can get d-line measurements and so on.

So here are my questions:

What is a good/correct procedure to center the axle?
" to put the shock mounts on, and which style of s-mount is recommended?

Thanks

Fergie

you will want to set the pinion angle in the perches with weight on the axle (the springs change the pinion angle as they flex up)

so loosely bolt and center the axle, and lower the rig onto the axle (with tires on) and bounce around in it for a little bit - then use your floor jack or a pipewrench and a floorjack to align your pinion angle and tackweld

i read that here and talked with ben about it - he said he thought his YJ would have moved more than it did, and it was fairly stable just chilling there....
http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/ford88.html

somthing to think about...

Fergie said:
Alright, 'bout ready to start welding things on to my Taco axle, and just want to get a general overview of procedures used to align everything properly:

Here is what I am planning:

Get the XJ up on stands in the rear. Disconnect driveline and shocks, and drop current axle out. Move it forward, out of the way, and so I wont damage any brake lines.

Loosely attach Taco axle, leaving it unbolted enough to center it, and to set the pinion angle. For the pinion angle, I am going to get an angle finder and have the pinion pointed directly at the t-case output, then lower it by 1*.

Somehow, using a level or plumb bob or what, I'll center the axle. Once I have the axle centered, and pinion angle set, tack the perches into place, and double check everything. Once that is done, then I can get d-line measurements and so on.

So here are my questions:

Thanks

Fergie
Bring it over and we'll "get-er-done". You DO need a welder, right...? :laugh3:

BillR said:
Bring it over and we'll "get-er-done". You DO need a welder, right...? :laugh3:
Yeah, dont think the lil flux core is gonna cut it.

I'll be sure to have the vehicle weight on the springs.

Fergie

Fergie said:

Thanks

Fergie

Just measure from the end plate on the exle back to the springs. When you put the weight on it make sure the springs are square up and down, sometimes they want to slip to the side a little.

The stock style mount works fine. Just keep up up even with the bottom of the tube.

Stop thinking so much or I'm going to pay Bill to slap you silly. :D

Lincoln said:
Just measure from the end plate on the exle back to the springs. When you put the weight on it make sure the springs are square up and down, sometimes they want to slip to the side a little.

The stock style mount works fine. Just keep up up even with the bottom of the tube.

Stop thinking so much or I'm going to pay Bill to slap you silly. :D
Eat me.

Fergie

Back