• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weird hum in front

kmagnuss_2000

NAXJA Forum User
Hi. 99 xj, dana 30 front...approx. 4" lift. adj. control arms upper and lower. When I'm driving down the highway, at just about any speed...there is a hum coming from the front of the jeep. If I turn slightly to the right it goes away. If I turn slightly to the left it gets worse. Also it seems that my front right tire loses tread faster than the rest. Could this be a simple alignment problem?
#2- I have a bit of driveline vibes, but only at speeds over 70 mph or so. My rear pinion is not at the right angle...as it sits just about the same angle as the driveshaft (stock slip yoke). Now normally I hear that the driveline vibes are around 30 mph or so. Do you think that's what I have, or maybe tires out of balance? I will be moving tires around tonight, and fixing the pinion angle...I'm just looking for any other reasons this may be happening. Thanks guys.

-Keith

i had the same problem except when i turned left it would go away. i replaced my front drivers side hub bearing and it did nothing. i think its the other one. so in your case, it might be best to change the drivers side first. if thats what it is.

yep sounds like a front hub bearing. pretty easy to replace, just 3 bolts after you remove the brake calipers. The hardest part is breaking loose the nut that holds the axle shaft in the hub.

I just went to the parts store and bought new bearings for both sides...it was $20 or so. BUT...I've been doing some reading on here and saw that you have to replace the whole hub assembly? Is this true? I really don't want to part with $200 to do both of them. But I guess I will if I don't have a choice.

kmagnuss_2000 said:
I just went to the parts store and bought new bearings for both sides...it was $20 or so. BUT...I've been doing some reading on here and saw that you have to replace the whole hub assembly? Is this true? I really don't want to part with $200 to do both of them. But I guess I will if I don't have a choice.

Yes you need the whole assembly, and it's gonna be more like $260 to do both sides.

okay...replaced the pass. side and the hum is about 80% gone. Now the sound is more focused on the driver's side. So I'll do that one tomorrow. That friggin hub nut thingy is a PITA to get off. Holy crap.

My manual says 175 ft/lbs!

Steele said:
Check ebay too, I've seen em there, buy it now for about 80, might save you some coin. I got mine at NAPA for about 90 bucks each.
you got the napa part numbers for that? all im seeing is the wheel bearing hub assembly. is that the same thing?

The factory manual for my 1994 shows 175 ft/pds also. So if you're on the trail how do you get these things on and off? I used an airwrench to get mine off before my re-build, but I haven't put it together yet.

Robert

Ive have a 3/4" drive socket set I use at the house and a custom built beater/driver for the field,its nothing more than a 1 7/16" socket welded to a piece of 3/4" flat stock with a 1/2" drive socket welded to the other end about 12" apart,a little leverage and a hit with a hammer takes them right off.For re-torqueing I use a cheater bar cut to length for my weight!

well, I put in the driver's side hub tonight and it made all the difference in the world. Both of them were humming like crazy...and I just thought it was my mud tires getting louder. It's nice to be able to hear my cel phone again. Well, onto the rear driveshaft pinion angle. blah

Back