• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rocksliders - Need help

creeknxj

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to purchase?
Recommendations?

I have the Rocky Road bars and LOVE them. I did a ton of research and they were the best (In my humble opinion). Best overall strength easy to install and more bolts than the others.:skull2: :us:

hawaiian89xj said:
AJ's cheapest and strongest

Uh, maybe cheapest, but definitely NOT strongest, those flat bar

mounting brackets are just weak.......You should have round tube, or square tubing with mounting plates to distribute the side force to the unibody...

Plus I could make those at home for about $20 and my limited fab skills.... and they look like they dont have ANY lateral protection

to each his own....

hawaiian89xj said:
AJ's cheapest and strongest

No experience here, but I would prefer if they mounted on the frame with three braces and the rear-most one mounted on the spring mount as well.

My personal opinion only.

Rgds

i have a set of AJ's coming, look on his web site for mounting pixs. if the rails are 1/2 as good as dealing with AJ is they will be very good.

2offroad said:
i have a set of AJ's coming, look on his web site for mounting pixs. if the rails are 1/2 as good as dealing with AJ is they will be very good.

I do not question AJ's attitude, he might be a great person to deal with (I still haven't got rock sliders on my XJ, so I have to keep all doors open).

But I checked his web site and I see only two mounting points which do not attach to the srping mount (of course, they also attach at the seam).

I would personally like three mounting points, with the rear one attaching to the spring mount as well. I might be an overkill, but ....

Rgds

This is not a paid advertisement for ORGS.... (although any royalty checks that happen to come my way will be donated toward my "Fund for Needy Cherokees" organization.)

XJ%20001.jpg

XJ%20012.jpg

XJ%20008.jpg

XJ%20009.jpg

XJ%20014.jpg

AJ's mount bolts in 9 places per rail. 2 at rear on spring mount, 4 at front, and 3 on pinch seam.

I admit to bias, I ordered AJ's also .. but the bias is born of research ... I listened to folks here, looked at the same manufacturers listed above, and chose what works for me.

The factors that made me decide on AJ's work were the strength (consensus in the forum is that 3/16 is *plenty* strong for rock crawling, 1/8 strong enough for medium duty applications), and the design ... I happen to to really like the way it looks.

I do agree that they may not afford the door protection that some other rails do, but that was a trade-off I was willing to make. I don't particularly like the look of rails that extend up and around the bottom of the vehicle. The AJ SuperRail version extends outward enough to afford some protection for the door and also functions as a step. And it looks awesome, IMHO.

So there ya go ... it always comes down to a personal choice, but these there the things that went into making my choice ... hth.

Pete,

Nice pictures. I see you got the new ones with 5 pinch weld bolts with the installation tool. Did it help having the install tool?

Now make sure you're waiting by the mail box for that check! lol

looks great!

mark
orgs mfg

Yep, worked like a charm... made locating them very easy and everything lined up perfectly.

Infact the only thing I've had a chance to use them for is to jack the jeep up with my highlift so I could fit the jackstands under the frame on their highest setting for my RE 5.5 XD install.... :thumbup: (but, of course that's another story (and royalty check) for a different thread). ;)

XJ%20007.jpg

I have been in that same market, looking for solid rocker protection. ORGS SuperNerfs is the one I have puchased and just waiting for good 'ol UPS. Talked to many guys out there in the back country, crawled under to see how they all have held up and most people love there SuperNerfs. Same comment I got was," great protection underneath and rig slides off away from rocks. Good luck

zjmike said:
Uh, maybe cheapest, but definitely NOT strongest, those flat bar

mounting brackets are just weak.......You should have round tube, or square tubing with mounting plates to distribute the side force to the unibody...

Plus I could make those at home for about $20 and my limited fab skills.... and they look like they dont have ANY lateral protection

to each his own....
HEY NOW!!! ;) No I wouldn't make the claim to build the strongest rails out there, that's something I'll leave everyone else to try and puff their chest over. BUT I will say that in the dozens of rails I have sold that not one person has reported back with a single complaint of damage or failure of anykind so that must mean I'm doing something right.

That mounting setup is old, and I didn't use it for very long. But not because it was weak, in fact that setup was PhatXJ's design and he's beat the crap out of his with no problems. We need to get those old pics off the site yet. The setup I'm using now is 2 legs of 1x2 running to the framerails. Those two legs are tied directly into the 46" long pinch seam mount as well as the main rail which really braces them up. Here's a pic of an old test rail to show what they look like...
NewDesign.jpg

This pic is of the KJ rockrails but it's basically the same setup as the XJ and shows it mounted...
mounting.jpg

Hope that clears things up:D

Back