• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head Gasket?

87CherokeeChief

NAXJA Forum User
i noticed my heater wasnt heating up the other day which suprised me. So i checked the fluid level in the bottle(87 closed system) and it had nothing in it(had been driving so everything was heated up) so i loosened the cap a little and the fluid started filling up the bottle. so after the engine has cooled the bottle is near empty. also i have noticed a slight burnt oily or burnt antefreez(not sure which) smell in the cab coming through the vents sometimes(or at least it seems to come through the vents). and lastly i have noticed NO leakes or puddles under the car after its been sitting. so im thinking head gasket, jeep has about 160K on it. Is the head gasket tough to change? i dont see any problems with doing it myself...anyone done this and have advice and also how much does a head gasket cost?

Change you oil an see if its a "Choclate Milkshake" (coolant in the oil)

Check your compression, make sure its all equal

Have you noticed a loss in power?

These are some of the main signs of a blown head gasket

As for difficulty never done it so cant help you there

TORX

The job itself is not technically difficult - just requires watching what you're doing and making sure you get it all done right. Before you get started, check the head bolts you can see for paint marks - if you see marks, get a new set (they're only supposed to be used twice.)

You will want the engine DEAD COLD before you get started - let it sit for at least 24 hours. (I am assuming, of course, that you've done your checks and found out that the head gasket is the issue.)

Drain the oil and coolant. While that's happening, depressurise and disconnect the fuel rail from the supply/return lines, and unbolt the exhaust collector. Mark and remove all wiring that goes to the head, intake, and exhaust manifolds. Disconnect the throttle cable and tie it aside. Remove the EGR line (for RENIX) between the intake and exhaust manifolds.

Remove the valve cover. Mark the rocker arms for reassembly (they should go back in the EXACT SAME PLACE!) Find a way to sort the pushrods - same reason. Clean off the heads of the cylinder head bolts and look for paint marks - get new bolts if you find marks under there.

From the driver's side rear bolt, remove the bolts in an anticlockwise spiral (you should end with the passenger centre bolt) and lift the head and manifolds as an assembly (believe me, it's a lot easier this way.)

Put the head on a workbench (preferably a wooden surface) and clean the block deck. Rotate the pistons to TDC and clean the carbon off of them as well. Check the bores for scoring or other trouble.

Go to the head. Remove the manifolds and clean the gasket surface. Clean the cylinder head deck and the combustion chambers. Also clean the mating surfaces on the manifolds. Remove the EGR valve and clean the port, and reinstall with new gasket (if equipped - the bolts can be replaced with regular hex heads or socket head capscrews - they're a standard thread, and I just don't recall the size.) Might be a good idea to change the throttle bracket screws as well - but those EGR bolts are a B4$74RD to change with everything in place - putting a regular wrench to this is FAR easier! Use a thin layer of RTV Copper on both sides of the gasket to help prevent burnout.

Smear a light coat of RTV Copper on both sides of the manifold gasket, and install the manifolds. It is a good idea to use brass or silicon bronze bolts here, and retain them with LocTite 272. The brass bolts will want to be retorqued at about 2 weeks, but will hold well after that (mine have been doing well for about four years now.) Since brass is a little "springier" than steel, you will want to torque the bolts, then check them about an hour later - so take a break before you drop the head on.

While the bolts for the manifolds are setting, take a moment to clean the threads on the head bolts and check the bolts themselves. Make sure there are no thread deformations, and that everything is clean and not corroded. (The driver's side front bolt, for instance, threads into the water jacket...)

Get out some Copper never-seez and some Teflon pipe dope - you'll use the copper on all bolts but the one at the driver's front - THAT one gets the Teflon.

Working in a clockwise spiral from the passenge centre outwards, torque the bolts by stages to 25-50-100 foot-pounds (do each bolt to 25, then each to 50, then to 100) and touch-up the driver's side front bolt to 110 foot-pounds. Reinstall everything you took off before. Have a beer and pat yourself on the back.

Take a look at everything and you'll see why I told you to service the manifolds off the vehicle! Retorquing the bolts is a minor headache, but at least they'll already be in place and threaded - you're just checking that they're still tight.

5-90

Don't forget to paint the head bolts after you put them in - so you know for next time...

Last edited:
5-90 said:
The job itself is not technically difficult - just requires watching what you're doing and making sure you get it all done right. Before you get started, check the head bolts you can see for paint marks - if you see marks, get a new set (they're only supposed to be used twice.)

You will want the engine DEAD COLD before you get started - let it sit for at least 24 hours. (I am assuming, of course, that you've done your checks and found out that the head gasket is the issue.)

Drain the oil and coolant. While that's happening, depressurise and disconnect the fuel rail from the supply/return lines, and unbolt the exhaust collector. Mark and remove all wiring that goes to the head, intake, and exhaust manifolds. Disconnect the throttle cable and tie it aside. Remove the EGR line (for RENIX) between the intake and exhaust manifolds.

Remove the valve cover. Mark the rocker arms for reassembly (they should go back in the EXACT SAME PLACE!) Find a way to sort the pushrods - same reason. Clean off the heads of the cylinder head bolts and look for paint marks - get new bolts if you find marks under there.

From the driver's side rear bolt, remove the bolts in an anticlockwise spiral (you should end with the passenger centre bolt) and lift the head and manifolds as an assembly (believe me, it's a lot easier this way.)

Put the head on a workbench (preferably a wooden surface) and clean the block deck. Rotate the pistons to TDC and clean the carbon off of them as well. Check the bores for scoring or other trouble.

Go to the head. Remove the manifolds and clean the gasket surface. Clean the cylinder head deck and the combustion chambers. Also clean the mating surfaces on the manifolds. Remove the EGR valve and clean the port, and reinstall with new gasket (if equipped - the bolts can be replaced with regular hex heads or socket head capscrews - they're a standard thread, and I just don't recall the size.) Might be a good idea to change the throttle bracket screws as well - but those EGR bolts are a B4$74RD to change with everything in place - putting a regular wrench to this is FAR easier! Use a thin layer of RTV Copper on both sides of the gasket to help prevent burnout.

Smear a light coat of RTV Copper on both sides of the manifold gasket, and install the manifolds. It is a good idea to use brass or silicon bronze bolts here, and retain them with LocTite 272. The brass bolts will want to be retorqued at about 2 weeks, but will hold well after that (mine have been doing well for about four years now.) Since brass is a little "springier" than steel, you will want to torque the bolts, then check them about an hour later - so take a break before you drop the head on.

While the bolts for the manifolds are setting, take a moment to clean the threads on the head bolts and check the bolts themselves. Make sure there are no thread deformations, and that everything is clean and not corroded. (The driver's side front bolt, for instance, threads into the water jacket...)

Get out some Copper never-seez and some Teflon pipe dope - you'll use the copper on all bolts but the one at the driver's front - THAT one gets the Teflon.

Working in a clockwise spiral from the passenge centre outwards, torque the bolts by stages to 25-50-100 foot-pounds (do each bolt to 25, then each to 50, then to 100) and touch-up the driver's side front bolt to 110 foot-pounds. Reinstall everything you took off before. Have a beer and pat yourself on the back.

Take a look at everything and you'll see why I told you to service the manifolds off the vehicle! Retorquing the bolts is a minor headache, but at least they'll already be in place and threaded - you're just checking that they're still tight.

5-90

Don't forget to paint the head bolts after you put them in - so you know for next time...

sounds like an involved process, thanks for the writeup its awesome very detailed! ill try to get around to that this weekend.

oh yea only one problem with your write up...im not sure i should be having a beer when im done(16 yrs old) heh heh :) thanks again

Brett

87CherokeeChief said:
so i loosened the cap a little and the fluid started filling up the bottle. so after the engine has cooled the bottle is near empty.

I must have missed this but Im I wrong or does the coolant go back into the engine when shutoff to prevent freezing? Cause when I shut my mine down within 10 minutes its gone into the engine.

TORX

5-90 said:
If you can't find someone up there to help you, I may be convinced. Problem is, I'd need to recover fuel costs...

When do you plan on doing this, anyhow?

5-90

Im not fully sure its the head gasket plus i gotta wait till i get paid which should be next week sometime so 2 weekends from now? Hmmm never really thought about lookin for help but ill keep you in mind if i decide i cant do it myself. I have pulled an engine/tranny combo before on my beater test jeep(4 cyl) so maybe i can "practice" on the beater.

TORX said:
I must have missed this but Im I wrong or does the coolant go back into the engine when shutoff to prevent freezing? Cause when I shut my mine down within 10 minutes its gone into the engine.

TORX

i dont think it does because the T-stat would close up thus not allowing any coolant in or out. what year jeep do you have?

Back