• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

recovery stuff

spazegun2213

NAXJA Forum User
ok, so I have been spending too much money/time on my engine and i realize that winterfest is like a month away!! So, seeing as how my jeep is bone stock I need to ask about recovery points. I know this has been asked a TON of times. I have searched them and have read them, but i would like some clairification, becuase I'm new to all this and I'm stupid ;)

1. what kind of strap do i need, like what ends should it have?
2. I have seen people use the little circular supports to either side of the hitch to anchor an chain to. Is that safe? I have a ball hitch (that I'm planning to mount the flag too) is there a D ring that i can sub in for the ball?
3. I'm pretty sure that the front of my jeep has no hooks, so what is an affective recovery point? I have read the axle, but is there a better place?

Sorry if any of this sounds retarted, but my extent to wheelin is the off the beaten path, but not THAT far off the path.

Thanks!
-Spaze

spazegun2213 said:
ok, so I have been spending too much money/time on my engine and i realize that winterfest is like a month away!! So, seeing as how my jeep is bone stock I need to ask about recovery points. I know this has been asked a TON of times. I have searched them and have read them, but i would like some clairification, becuase I'm new to all this and I'm stupid ;)

1. what kind of strap do i need, like what ends should it have?

Get two (a 50 and a 25), at least 20K pound, no metal. 25 can double as a tree saver.

2. I have seen people use the little circular supports to either side of the hitch to anchor an chain to. Is that safe? I have a ball hitch (that I'm planning to mount the flag too) is there a D ring that i can sub in for the ball?

No you can't use those. Yes there is a d-ring insert. Warn, others make them.

3. I'm pretty sure that the front of my jeep has no hooks, so what is an affective recovery point? I have read the axle, but is there a better place?

You don't want to rely on your axle as a recovery point. Get a front receiver or tow hooks.

Sorry if any of this sounds retarted, but my extent to wheelin is the off the beaten path, but not THAT far off the path.

Thanks!
-Spaze

NAXJA requires solid recovery points front & rear and a recovery strap with no metal hooks... (loop ends.) 20 feet x 2" is probably as light as I'd want to go... 3" is getting there.

If the rear hitch is a 2" receiver that ties into both 'frame rails' below the bumper, it's AOK. A light duty hitch that mounts to the bumper is pretty worthless to pull from. I just put the loop of the strap through the open hitch & lock the pin in, but several places sell d-ring inserts.

Up front, a set of OEM, Rusty's, or C4x4 tow hooks are good choices. A 2" receiver hitch is very solid front recovery point, but the one I had (HiddenHitch) ate up too much approach angle for my likings... it was bent & twisted after it's first trip to Tellico. I put on & have ran C4x4 hooks that survived until I got a winch bumper.

What woody said.

The first thing I installed on my XJ was front and rear bumpers with built in hitches. I installed tow hooks too but never use them because the hitches work out so well.

The d-rings mounted to the bumper are fine on an after market bumper. However, the factory bumper has no strength to it. You should never attach anything to it.

Something I have seen done, but not done myself, is to bolt a chain across the front, bolting it to the frame on each side. I don't know that I would trust it but in a pinch it is probably safer and easier to use then trying to strap to the axle.

I am going to have a set of Custom 4x4 hooks and brackets for sale. I am taking them off this weekend. They are in perfect condition with only 3 pulls on them if you are interested. $75 shipped anywhere. [email protected]

Back