• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Front

elephantrider1

NAXJA Forum User
Ok ive decided to with the ford 8.8 in the rear with 5.13 gears.now i need a front axle someone please help me out i guess a dana 44 high pinion would be best but where to start looking what has them under it that will work.

elephantrider1 said:
tried it still didnt find what im looking for need to find out what kind of vehichle i can take one from
since i don't like saying "SEARCH"...but seriously you should try again b/c i know you'll find what ur looking for... you could use a 44 from a bronco or 150 and shorten it down to match that 8.8

brandon
just curious, why don't you go with an 9" rear and 44 front? depending on the truck you get them from, you won't have to shorten becuase they'll be the same WMS to WMS. thats if you don't mind FW 65"

Like Shimmy said...

Try and get a package deal...

front and rears off a full size bronco, late 70's F-150/250

Keep in mind early broncos are about the right width, but low pinion with drum brakes and small u-joints

If you can find a decent HP44 up front, you'll probably have a 9', dana 44/60 or 14 bolt out back...

but yeah...try the search again... TONS of stuff in there

I have a 81 f150 with a 9 in the rear but im not sure of making it shorter.im just whanting something easy to put under it that will handle 5.13 gears with as little fabing as possiblethe 8.8 just seemed pretty simple but i like the 9 inch better definitly tuffer.searching is just not turning up my answers but it is giving me options

get the rear out of a 89 3/4 ton dodge pickup...my dana 60 bolted in to my xj with no problem...spring pads where right width apart and the dodge brake hose connected right to my steel brake hose...about 65" wide. should be able to handle 5.13's no problem...I was looking for 5.38(?) I think for mine...dont know if the front 44's can be converted to 8 lug easy?

yellowxj said:
get the rear out of a 89 3/4 ton dodge pickup...my dana 60 bolted in to my xj with no problem...spring pads where right width apart and the dodge brake hose connected right to my steel brake hose...about 65" wide. should be able to handle 5.13's no problem...I was looking for 5.38(?) I think for mine...dont know if the front 44's can be converted to 8 lug easy?
what spline is that?

elephantrider1 said:
so any body know the easiest upgrade for the axles to handle the 5.13s.im sure this will strike up some words

Rockwells......they bolt right in.

Mogs if you want to do a LITTLE fab work.

CRASH

P.S. This place is really going downhill.

Why? it's the easy way to go. it has all the same mounts and uses the same outer knuckles. If you want to make it stronger buy the alloy internals. It's just an option.

why? why!?

well lets see:
1) low pinion, loss in clearance vs. HPD30 and only slight strength gain in the gears

2) same stupid outers, no rebuildable hubs, no lockouts, no better steering, knuckles or brakes

3) weird gear sets, they are not normal LP D44 gear sets and I believe they currently only go down to 4.88

Currie managed to install a gearset from an 87 Dodge 3/4 ton D44 in a Rubicon D44 for me, so they must both be the same oddball design; my bad. Warn has the upgrades to locking/rebuildable hubs alloy outers and upgraded brakes. It has less clearence but his original idea for a high pinion included the words "I guess" and "would be best" and "as little fab as possible" so I threw the Rubicon out there as an option.

Back