• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problems with new Weber Carb

85Chief

NAXJA Forum User
I just put got my new Weber carb put on the other day. I am amazed the amount of power I got vs. the old rochester. (3.4 engine now btw). The only complaints are these:

1). The "adapter" that allows you to use the stock air filter on my 85 2.8 was about a 1/2 inch to tall. I had called Weber and asked if this was the right adapter before I had installed it and they said that it was indeed able to fit the stock air cleaner. When it was installed however, it was too tall and had to be modified

2). When we put on the carb, we hooked up the electric choke, but it was idleing at 2000 rpm. We disconected it and it ran normal. I would think that if there is an electric choke that comes on the carb, that it should run the normal idle and not rev like crazy. Am I missing something?

3). When I'm running down the road at 25-30 and I go to turn, it seems like its cutting out. I can feel the carb stall like it is being starved of gas. It said in the instructions to bolt on a fuel regulator which would push only 3.5psi, and I did so. What could be causing this and how could I fix it?

Other than these small problems, I can really feel the power. I was amazed when I first pulled out of the driveway and spun my tires for the first time in 5+ years. Before it would take a lot to spin in rain, but now I have to be careful. It felt like a whole new Jeep.

Can anyone help me with my #2 and #3 problems?
Thanks!
85Chief

It is normal for an out of the box weber to need "tweaking"....the high idle while cold can be adjusted...there is an adjustment screw that comes into play when the choke is on...back it off a bit...I ended up abandoning the choke entirely on my 38...the problem while turning is most likely due to an incorrect float level...weber recently published new adjustment procedures.

The carb is very easy to work on...call RedLine Weber...ask for tech support, they were extremely helpful in my case...If it was a "kit", have the kit number handy...the same basic carb comes in many different states of tune...the difference is in the jetting and adjustments...my carb ended up being a "generic" version that was jetted wrong for my application...I had the same problem with the stumble when turning or going much off camber...I readjusted the float and rejetted (my stock idle jets and air bleeds were way too lean)...now it is very crisp off idle and has no problems climbing very steep obstacles...oh yeah...3 psi fuel pressure is what I run.

MudDawg said:
...weber recently published new adjustment procedures.

Thanks for the reply MudDawg. The carb is brand new, but I'm not sure if I have the correct adjustments that you talk of. Do you know where I can check to see if I have them?

MudDawg said:
I readjusted the float and rejetted
Can you tell me how you did this?

Thanks!
85Chief

85Chief said:
Anyone have a clue?

The usual common cause of stalling while under hard braking or turning is the float level being too high or the fuel pressure too high. If the carbs new and you have a pressure regulator set at the reccomended psi. I'll bet it's the float level set too high. Just a thought. I'm not a Weber guy though. Floats usually all work the same:)

FUNKYTEE5

Have the same set-up. A 3.4L with the Weber 38 DGES carb. Power, and lots. Do 70 up Vail Pass.

First thing I did was go to 3 PSI on the fule pressure.

Second was to tune the carb by use the mixture valves. Follow the instructions carefully. I still have them if you send me a fax number.

As for the electric choke, I didn't have that problem. I would look to see what the choke flap is doing when you hook it up and then disconnect it. let me know on that.

As for the air filter adapter, bought a RamFlo air filter and housing. I have the 600CFS set-up. Works like a champ.

Will be going to a snorkle soon though.

PM me if you have more questions.

You can also go to - Redline Weber on the web, it gives you all the tweeks
and instructions right there. Just Google search 'Redline Weber', the site
covers all thier carbs so make sure your reading about 'your application.

Hey 85 Chief

Just found this tread....
Have you figured out any of your problems yet? Put the same carb on my 2.8 a couple of months ago, and I have all the same problems that you have.

I have suspected that it has been a vacum problem. But no matter have many hoses I replace or remove, even though it has gotten better, the problems allways returns....

Mine also stalls if I do a panic-break....

Really hope to get this sorted out soon, cause it can be hell to drive sometimes...

Make sure you're using a good fuel pressure regulator. I used a cheap one from Schucks and it would stall out. Bought a Holley regulator from Summit and it worked a lot better. I also switch out the stock mechanical fuel pump for an electric one, a Carter that flowed around 70GPH at 7PSI (i think). Worked really good except it was kinda loud. I also ran new, larger fuel lines from the tank to the carb.

Back