• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to get shackle/leaf spring bolts?

katarn444

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering where everyone gets bolts for thier xj's. I know I can get them at the dealership for $7 each but I think that is ridiculous for a bolt. I had to cut two of them into peices to get the shackles off. I believe that these are metric high strength bolts and can not find them anywhere. Is there a standard grade 8 size that is close enough to work.

I am trying to fix up an 89 and these are not the only bolts that will be replaced before this project is over and I do not want to run to the dealership every time a break, strip or otherwise smash one.

Thanks for the advice.
katarn

go to a hardware store, take the head of the bolt if u didnt cut it off, or get the size and grade off the dealer, and tell the people at the hardware store what u want, u can probably get it from there...if not then try lowes or home depot

I should have mentioned this, I have tried everywhere to get the exact same bolts but have been unsuccessful. I have tried home depot, hardware stores, custom fastner places, Levines (for those of you who know what that is), foriegn car parts places (since it is metric, I think).

Thanks for the reply blackdog.

Katarn

Try the dodge dealer I had to do the same damn thing expensive as hell but I only had to do it once antiseize is you friend!!!
themud

I will give it a try, what am I asking for? Do Dodge trucks use the same bolts? Any specific year or model? Thank you.

Katarn

Last edited:
They are 14mm bolts. The only one where the thread actually matters is the one for the forweard spring eye, because the nut is welded inside the frame.

A 14mm bolt is 0.55118" diameter. A 9/16" bolt is 0.5625" diameter. I have been able to get 9/16" bolts through the rear spring eyes and shackle after cleaning out the worst of the rust in the sleeve.

Spend the money, get the dealer bolt...

It's harder than grade 12...

It was designed to go there...

I usually use hardware store bolts for attaching non-life threatening parts on my rig...

Do you really want to find out if that home depot/hardware store bolt can safely hold your shackle/leaf spring?

Not a good spot to cut corners...

I have decided to get the bolts from boltdepot.com (Thanks for the link 3pinr).
It turns out they are not to far from me so on my next trip to Boston I will pick up everything that I need so I do not have to pay shipping.

I also did some research on the grades of the bolts. I do not want to sound like an a$$ but I could not beleive Gil BullyKatz without any proof. So here is what I found out which is good enough for me.

This bolt is grade 9.8 which can handle a load of approximatly 100,000 psi.
I will be replacing them with grade 10.9 (120,000psi)(since that is the closest to grade 9.8 that boltdepot sells) Grade 8 can also handle around 120,000 psi.
So in conclusion these bolts are no whaere near "harder than grade 12". I am not going to a dealership to get ripped off, just because it is more expensive does not mean it is better. Even if I found the same bolts that Jeep sells for more money at a local store I would probably buy the more expensive ones just to spite Jeep. Thier prices are ridiculous, and every chance I get I give my money to someone else. And I think it is very rude to be accussed of "cutting corners" when that is the exact thing I am trying not to do. A grade 9.8 bolt is a grade 9.8 bolt no matter where you get it. So if you Gil BullyKatz want to pay three times the amount of money for less quality go right ahead.
http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/Bolt-Grade-Chart.aspx

Sorry about the rant but I hate when people talk about things they have no clue about.

I want to thank everyone again for the help. This means money that can be spent on other places of my JEEP.

katarn

katarn444 said:
I also did some research on the grades of the bolts. I do not want to sound like an a$$ but I could not beleive Gil BullyKatz without any proof. So here is what I found out which is good enough for me.

This bolt is grade 9.8 which can handle a load of approximatly 100,000 psi.
I will be replacing them with grade 10.9 (120,000psi)(since that is the closest to grade 9.8 that boltdepot sells) Grade 8 can also handle around 120,000 psi.
So in conclusion these bolts are no whaere near "harder than grade 12". I am not going to a dealership to get ripped off, just because it is more expensive does not mean it is better. Even if I found the same bolts that Jeep sells for more money at a local store I would probably buy the more expensive ones just to spite Jeep. Thier prices are ridiculous, and every chance I get I give my money to someone else. And I think it is very rude to be accussed of "cutting corners" when that is the exact thing I am trying not to do. A grade 9.8 bolt is a grade 9.8 bolt no matter where you get it. So if you Gil BullyKatz want to pay three times the amount of money for less quality go right ahead.
http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/Bolt-Grade-Chart.aspx

Sorry about the rant but I hate when people talk about things they have no clue about.

Hey Cheapwad...

What makes you think I don't know what the frell I'm talking about?

I bought some from the dealer less than 2 weeks ago and what I got was grade 12.9 metric...
12.9 is not an sae grade, its a metric grade. 10.9 is the metric equiv of grade 8.

12.9 and the equivalent sae grade (iirc grade L9, both std L9 and metric 12.9 are 180,000 psi tensile iirc) are only available in black oxide coated socket head cap screws, set screws and 12 pt cap screws, not hex head cap screws (okay, some rare hhcs's will have them). if they are zinc or cadmium plated, their rating goes down to 10.9 and 8 (depending on met or std).

..and as far as I know a grade 12.9 bolt is a 12.9 bolt regardless of where you buy it.

...and I didn't "ACCUSE" you of cutting corners...

I said
Not a good spot to cut corners...

It's pitifull that you're that frickin sensitive to information that doesn't "agree" with "your research"

...and don't worry about sounding like an ASS...

enjoy your giant savings

don't spend it all in one place

:D

$7 EACH!!!!

I went to a dealership near my school and got all 4 for $20.37. And thats with the ME state tax! It was $19.40 before tax.

I lost the guys card with his email, but the place does ship stuff. I can give you a phone number if you want. Just PM me. They were really nice when I dealt with them too. Unlike other stealerships I've been to. (but shipping would make it almost the same price....)

Last edited:
I am sorry about being so sensitive I am just pissed off of paying so much money for a bolt. I go not want to get into a battle of something this stupid but you did say grade 12 and not 12.9.

Anyway the savings on these bolts is not that much but when it happens over and over it starts to add up. They tried to charge me $20 each for caliper pins and $5 each not knuckle bolts. So over time I will be saving quite a bit of money by trying to find someplace else to find these bolts.

I will be ordering
6 leaf bolts, 2 bolts and washers
4 upper shock bolts and nuts
2 lower shock nuts

At my dealership that would cost over $50 so if you think I am cheap for not wanting to pay that much go right ahead.

After I posted I said to myself they probably use different strength bolts back there sometimes, it depends on what they have on hand.

So I a sorry for attacking you. Thanks again everyone

katarn

katarn444 said:
At my dealership that would cost over $50 so if you think I am cheap for not wanting to pay that much go right ahead.

So I a sorry for attacking you. Thanks again everyone

katarn

Hell... I think you're pretty smart for not wanting to pay that much, I'm a poor working stiff myself, and the only time I buy from the dealer, is when I can't buy an equal or better part elsewhere...

Sometimes I buy from them for convenience too...

Sometimes I'll pay a little extra to avoid running around from place to place for substandard parts.

Cheers

katarn444 said:
I was wondering where everyone gets bolts for thier xj's. I know I can get them at the dealership for $7 each but I think that is ridiculous for a bolt. I had to cut two of them into peices to get the shackles off. I believe that these are metric high strength bolts and can not find them anywhere. Is there a standard grade 8 size that is close enough to work.

I am trying to fix up an 89 and these are not the only bolts that will be replaced before this project is over and I do not want to run to the dealership every time a break, strip or otherwise smash one.

Thanks for the advice.
katarn

If you have a U-pull-it junkyard in the area you can usually get small stuff like that for free at the expense of the yard admission fee $1-2 and pulling them off yourself. That's the best way to stock up cheap! I keep many backups in the hardware department:)

FUNKYTEE5

Last edited:
I have been looking for a u-pull junkyard for over a year and can not find one anywhere close to me. It sucks, my local junkyards are terrible and are really expensive. I would rather just get new stuff.

Katarn

katarn444 said:
I have been looking for a u-pull junkyard for over a year and can not find one anywhere close to me. It sucks, my local junkyards are terrible and are really expensive. I would rather just get new stuff.

Katarn

Bummer:(

katarn444 said:

Katarn
Where are you? If you're in CT you're out of luck, but if you're in or near RI or eastern PA I may be able to help you out.

Back