• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Wheel Cylinder Pin Size

93JXJ

NAXJA Member #1174
I got a Dana 44 from an XJ from the junkyard. Someone decided that they should steal all the brake parts and leave the drums (?). I found the rest of the brake parts, but don't know the length and diameter of the wheel cylinder pins. Anyone have any ideas? FYI - don't want to do the disc swap - it's a trail rig and stopping is more important than stopping fast.
J.

I have a set of XJ D44 drum breaks apart in my garage but I don't know the part names, This is the first time I've taken drums apart. If you can be more discriptive I have a set of calipers and I can measure them.

Thanks for the quick response. The wheel cylinder is the is at the top - it's the part that the brake line connects to and pushes out the pins (rods) that are in it. The pins are forked to hold the top of the shoe. There is a great pic and diagram at this thread http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31410&highlight=dana+brakes+pic

The pins won't come out unless you have the shoes off.
Thanks again.
J

I didn't see a label for the pins you reference in the drawing. If I understand you correctly, the pins you speak of are the rods that are rounded on one end, slotted on the other and there is one on each side of the wheel cylinder that is used to transfer the movement from the wheel cylinder to the brake shoes. If I remember right, they are exactly the same as on the D35. Don't have a measurement, but I'm pretty sure they are identical. I rebuilt a D44 and used the parts from my D35. I thought the brake master hardware set had those included?

Yep, that's what I'm talking about. That's great info - I guess I should have asked that. The hardware kit just comes with springs, hold downs, etc... I don't think I've ever bought a hardware kit when changing rear brakes - of course my wife calls me cheap, but, I got an XJ to support.
You gotta love a site where the president gets in. Time for me to pay the fee! Thanks.

O.K. I measured the described part and the caliper said. Dia. 7/16" Length to the end of the fork 2 3/64" and Length to the base of the fork 1 1/2". Hope that helps.

The correct name is "wheel cylinder link" .they don,t come in a small parts kit.Run about $4 each. 44 and 35 use same part.
Wayne

Back