• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Painting Differential Covers

Go Go

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed a bunch of people paint their diff covers. I'm changing the fluid this weekend and thought I might paint mine black instead of rust. Do they get hot enough that I need special paint? If so, I'll probably leave them as is, can't really see them anyway, until I get a lift.

Wal-Mart gloss black - .96 per can

Rustoleum heat paint, 500* rated, flat black, $3.99 a can.

Rustoleum gloss black. For whatever reason, dirt doesn't seem to stick to the glossy paint very well. The rest of the axle housing is dirty, but the cover stays pretty clean on its own. I need to paint the whole housing with the glossy stuff...

I have some rustoleum gloss black with Hammered finish I think I'm going to use it. I used it to paint over the scrapes on my rock rails and it matched up well with their textured finish. Thanks for the inputs. I don't like the look of chrome and I figured while I had the thing off I might try to make it look new again by painting it black. I was mostly worried about the heat as the silicone for the seal is rated to like 600 degrees. I figured if I needed special paint I'd wait until I have to repaint my barbecue grill.

5-90 said:
Rust-Oleum Pro Royal Blue. Does a nice job of showing up leaks, and cleans well. Takes about 1/2 hour to dry enough to handle.

5-90
mine could use a little color. 1/2 hour to handle, would there be a problem in just painting it on there

Nah - that's how I did it. Clean thoroly with a good solvent, scuff up the existing paint with about a 180 grit paper, and clean again using a "no residue" cleaner (for this, I usually use denatured alcohol) to get the dust off. Give it a nice even coat and go have a sandwich and coffee.

While I was at it, I replaced the bolts with 5/16"x1" UNC brass pan head screws (nice look) and used brass flat washers to protect the paint. It actually looks rather nice that way. Since you don't need a lot of torque on those bolts to seal, there's nothing wrong with using a screwdriver.

You could also use socket head capscrews if you want - either way, install washers - they not only keep the paint from getting chewed up when you tighten the bolt, they also spread the "clamp load" from the bolts (and make for a slightly different look without being "blingy")

5-90

Go Go said:
I have some rustoleum gloss black with Hammered finish I think I'm going to use it.
I'm giving up on the Hammerite. It looks cool, but gets too brittle and chips easily. I grabbed a can of black epoxy paint(I think Rustoleum) and shot my front axle and diff cover well over a year ago and it still looks good. (good is a relative thing) IMO, it's doubtful that a heat rated paint is necessary.

diff never gets hot enough to require special paint for high temp.... drive it all day then get out and touch it.... itll probably be nothing more than warm (surrounding temp)

I was planning on painting my whole front and rear axles including diff cover in POR-15 black. It dries rock hard, doesnt chip, you can paint over the surface rust on the axle, and protects from future rust. It's fairly pricey for paint but i hear a little goes a long way.

Drunk tank said:
diff never gets hot enough to require special paint for high temp.... drive it all day then get out and touch it.... itll probably be nothing more than warm (surrounding temp)

park that black Jeep out in the hot summer sun all day, then get out and touch it.... it'll probaby be nothing more than warm (surrounding temp)

You painting your hood with high temp paint?

Back