• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What do you think about this idea?

1990XJ4x4

NAXJA Member #1158
I was thinking about making a set of swaybar disconnects with some air hose quick connects. I made a quick sketch in solid edge of what I am thinkin about. Weld the male parts of the couplers to the link, and put the female parts on the swaybar / axle. Do you think it would hold up, does anyone know what kind of force is applied on the swaybar links.

link.jpg

I think those air hose couplers would wear out in about 5 minutes. There is quite a bit of pressure on those links. Do a search, there are some pretty good ideas, and writeups on this.

i bet you could get a piece of pipe that fits the female thread in the air conectors, and make your links out of that, as well. i know you can get like 1,2,6" whatever short pieces of pipe threaded at both ends at the hardware store. interesting idea, anyways. although, some of those airline fittings like to rust up, and become a pain to disconnect. but another issue may be that you cant lift one side of the sway bar up far enough to get it do disconnect, if the other side is still connected. may be a pain to get the first side disco'd.

1990XJ4x4 said:
Good thing I asked before I made em. I think I recall seeing a ZJ in a magazine one time with a set-up similar to this. It was painted zebra stripes.

What kind of extra HP were they getting with those?

I saw a post somewhere and a guy had airhose coupler disconnects on an xj , he said it worked good, but I agree with the posts above, they're to light duty to mess with.

88flexj said:
I think those air hose couplers would wear out in about 5 minutes. There is quite a bit of pressure on those links. Do a search, there are some pretty good ideas, and writeups on this.

think that kinda depends on the ones you get. if you get the cheapo small ones, probably. but like we use in our truck reapair shop, they last years, and they have 150psi going to them all the time. they get drug around, beat up, dropped, and all sorts of stuff. that said, i think the real issue is getitng both sides disco'd at the same time.

I think it will be easier to disco them than the set that I have now, I have the old style JKS that have pin running through the middle, they require a hammer, some pliers and some cussin to get out and back in. I think the air coupler I idea would be fairly easy to put back in even if it is a bit difficult to disco.

1990XJ4x4 said:
I was thinking about making a set of swaybar disconnects with some air hose quick connects. I made a quick sketch in solid edge of what I am thinkin about. Weld the male parts of the couplers to the link, and put the female parts on the swaybar / axle. Do you think it would hold up, does anyone know what kind of force is applied on the swaybar links.

link.jpg

It might be a good idea to test how much pressure it take to uncouple the male from the female. I not sure how much pressure it take but it look like a great idea if it would hold up. Run some test and find out.

Back