• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d60 carrier journal

explorer

NAXJA Forum User
I am assembling a rr. 44 with a Super 44 kit, the carrier journals are larger than standard to accomodate the larger shafts. Measuring the journal or the ID of the brg. it is 2.0" as compared to the 1.8" ID of the standard brg. My question is for those who may have some D60 carriers/ brg. laying around, what is the journal dia.? I have already got a second set of brgs. to use for setup, but need to find what shims will work on the larger journal. Who has set these up before.

Also if you just have the Timken #'s for the brg. these are LM104912 for the brg. and LM104949 for the cup. I called a couple of gear places and though they say the brgs. are common and have them in stock they couldn't tell me what OEM app. they are for.

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited:
OK, I found the dimensions for the 60 brgs., they're not similar. So If anyone has setup a Super 44 kit, what did you use for carrier shims. Looking through brg. apps, I found a pinion brg. for a Ford 11.25 to have an ID of 2" but not sure where they shim those. Any help out there? Thanks.

Brian

No, it didn't come with shims. The kit includes the carrier brgs. but no shims. I've contacted Tractech and tried to contact the company I bought it from, but haven't heard back from them yet.

I've seen a enough reference to this kit on this board and it was even recommended by some when I asked about various lockers. Was all that input with no actual use by anyone?

Call http://www.rawbrown.com/ I'm sure he can hook you up.

Most of the people around here don't do their own installs. Ryan Brown has done several.

I haven't done any with the detroit, only the ARB 35 spline. Different shims again.

Lincoln, do you know the part # of the ARB your talking about. I finally got a call back from Tractech today, and he referred to an RD06 I believe as a ARB # that the shims would interchange with. He didn't know what app. that was for or give me much help otherwise. I assumed it was for the Super 44 ARB but he couldn't verify that. He actually suggested machining the shims to fit. When I wondered out loud how you would go about machining shims down in the 1-5 thou range he said to just stack them up and ID grind them. I don't have any real experience in machining or the equip. but this doesn't seem like it would work well. I'll try PM'ing Rawbrown.

I can't believe how quick I forget. The 35 spline ARB is RD109 and the 33 spline is RD113. But I bet any of the D44 shims will work. The ARB shims go between the bearing and the housing instead of between the bearing and the diff. The OD on all are the same. The only problem I had was finding the shims when I need some more. I ended up getting a shim pack from ARB which included a master shim that was thick to protect the thinner shims while it was going in. Randy's Ring & Pinion were even clueless. I do know they sell a lot more Detroit's so they might be able to help also.

I've never made my own shims. I have had them ground down on a surface grinder though. Basically made a thinner shim from a thicker version. It would be expensive to do a whole shim back though.

I think you would be fine if you got the shim pack from any of the ARB's.

OK, I finally found the answer. I talked to Drivetrain Direct and found out there is a special shim pack used outside the brg. just like what you are describing for your ARB. He did say that those might work but they are slightly different. They are of course on backorder for the next month. I'm actually somewhat pleased as I don't have to make setup brgs. now.

If you really need them call ARB. They didn't have a problem shipping some out to me.

Also for some reason I think Randy's is making their own super 44 kit with detroits. They might have the shim pack in stock now.

explorer said:
OK, I finally found the answer. I talked to Drivetrain Direct and found out there is a special shim pack used outside the brg. just like what you are describing for your ARB. He did say that those might work but they are slightly different. They are of course on backorder for the next month. I'm actually somewhat pleased as I don't have to make setup brgs. now.

You still need at least 1 set-up bearing for the drivers side,not all the shimming occurs at the passenger side!

The ARB I had was setup that way, with the special shim pack used on the side w/ the air collar, and standard shimming on the other side. This Detroit, according to the person I talked to at DD said they set them up using the special shim pack on both sides. There isn't a standard shim that works, either the ID is too small or the OD is too large.

The 35 spline ARB is the same kind of the same. ON one side they go between the seal housing and the bearing and on the other they are outside. I shimmed my old style ARB the same way. On both sides the same shims work.

Lincoln said:
The 35 spline ARB is the same kind of the same. ON one side they go between the seal housing and the bearing and on the other they are outside. I shimmed my old style ARB the same way. On both sides the same shims work.

Lincoln,

Do you still have your ARB 35 spline in your Dana 44? How do you like it? Had any problems with it?

Thanks,

Yes I'm still running it and haven't had any problems. Not sure if there is anything to like or dislike, I've always been happy with my ARB's.

Lincoln said:
Yes I'm still running it and haven't had any problems. Not sure if there is anything to like or dislike, I've always been happy with my ARB's.

That is great because I am thinking about buying one. If I add a new ARB, Alloy axles, and gears the price is about the same if I go with 30, 33, or 35 spline upgrade. Thanks.

I just bought everything from Tri County. I believe he said mine were Superior blanks. I thought someone told me that Currie was using Superior blanks for their shafts too, but don't hold me to that.

He was also doing a full floater kit at the time for about $300 more. Used Warn hubs and spindles and required changing over to disks.

I called Tri County and Currie to check on the axle shafts. Currie dose not have or make shafts for the RD109 ARB. Tri County stock them so I guess I will pick some up some time next week. Thanks for the info.

Back