• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions on the best possible rock rails...

xjmyjeep

NAXJA Member #506
93' xj in need of some rock rails, really need the possible extra lift point, and don't like the bottom of my car being so exposed.

Everyone was so helpful in convincing me to decide on a detoursusa rear bumper, I figured it would be the same way for this inquiry as well.

I came across a really bad ass system, regretfully forgot who sells it. Bolts on in countless places, looks a boat docking station (no joke), goes around the pinch welds, and strengthens the overall car hold up. Somebody help me out, and I will quite greatful.

Thanks

-Dan

sounds like you are talking about the www.DETOURSUSA.com rock-slyders / unibody stiffeners..... thats the best on the market in my opinion..

xjuni01_lrg.jpg

You'd be correct. Thank you kindly sir. Like that one an awful lot already, just want to make sure I haven't overlooked one though.

They're big $$$ but if I didn't ahve protection already I'd go with that. I've got Rocky Road gaurds that have served me well. I've heard peole bad mouth them but my rockers are still pretty (about the only part that still is).

xjmyjeep said:
93' xj in need of some rock rails, really need the possible extra lift point, and don't like the bottom of my car being so exposed.

Everyone was so helpful in convincing me to decide on a detoursusa rear bumper, I figured it would be the same way for this inquiry as well.

I came across a really bad ass system, regretfully forgot who sells it. Bolts on in countless places, looks a boat docking station (no joke), goes around the pinch welds, and strengthens the overall car hold up. Somebody help me out, and I will quite greatful.

Thanks

-Dan

ORGS

I agree on the detours rails if you can afford them.
But I went with the Rocky Road rails (not the step rails).
I was impressed with how heavy & stout they are. Plus they install fairly easily.
My father-in-law went with the tomken 2x4 rails, and I have to say that they seem a little weak in comparison, They only attach to the frame & pinch weld at 2 points, versus the RR units that bolt in 6 places to the pich weld in addition to the 2 points on the 'frame rails'.
Another guy in our XJ crew has the JKS rails and they also seem pretty tough.
But none of us have gotten a chance to test them...yet.

I too agree that Detour's frame stiffener/rock rails are the best offered. Just recently got them on my Jeep, and although I haven't gotten much time offroad with them yet, I can notice a huge difference in the stiffness of my XJ. It feels as if the suspension is forced to work more because of the reduced unibody flex. Onroad, my plastic interior pieces don't squeak anymore. They're design also serves as a bombproof platform for interior cage tie-in and skidplating.

Sure Detour's prices are a bit higher, but remember, you're getting two products in one. To get what Detours product offers, you'd need to buy a set of quality rock rails, Currie's or T&J Performance's frame stiffeners, and come up with a brilliant idea for the two to mount together.

They're simple to install as well. It can easily be done by one person in under 1.5 hours. Bolt 'em up to the LCA frame mount and forward leaf hanger, drill and bolt them into the pinch seam, then plug weld them into the unibody.

What'd you do, bolt them up (the Detours) then have someone weld them for you? Just curious, the XJ1 Model requires four welds of some sort, according to the site.... or did you get the XJ2 Model (no weld)?

Hammertoe said:
Toss up a link to the exact RE drop-brackets & bracing you refer too, can
answer that question from here.
Here's a set of install instructions....drop brackets
They fit along the bottom of the framerail from the LCA mount to the crossmember, if that helps any.

sidriptide said:
sounds like you are talking about the www.DETOURSUSA.com rock-slyders / unibody stiffeners..... thats the best on the market in my opinion..

xjuni01_lrg.jpg
Looks really good but I see one big problem with this design. If you look at the typical upward force applied to the rails you'll quickly see that the pinch seam mount takes most of the upward stress. You have a 10" lever arm from the frame rail to the rock rail. The pinch seam mount is the only real strengthening feature to overcome the upward force on that arm. I've found that the best designs have the greatest surface area on the pinch seam mount to spread this force over the whole floor. These massive frame rail mounts will definately stiffen the frame but the small pinch seam flanges will seriously compromise the design for what it's intended to do, keep the body off the rocks.
As a frame stiffener it's a nice design. As a rock rail, not so much.

Last edited:
kid4lyf said:
I've found that the best designs have the greatest surface area on the pinch seam mount to spread this force over the whole floor.

I agree. My old Custom4x4 fabrication rails were attached the to pinch seam in 3 places, but they had the angle run along it the entire length....spreading the load nicely. By the time I got done beating up on them for about 2 years, my pinch seam looked rather wavy (see pic below). IMO, they held up as well as they did because of how well the forces were spread out along this area.

With only two short areas of support along the pinch seam.....I don't know that they would hold up that well in the center....where you tend to hit a lot of rocks.

http://www.custom4x4fabrication.com/armor.html

IMG_4773.JPG

IMG_4780.JPG

Brian
www.projectxj.com

I went with the olympic rock rails. Ordered through quadratec. They worked good on some boulders in VA, and my favorite feature is they extend out so I can use them as a step to wash my roof and to protect my doors from idiots in parking lots, shopping carts. They slide in tight for wheeling.

Back