• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help us create an OEM XJ & MJ DS legnth Chart

whitfimb

NAXJA Forum User
Members of the NAXJA Modified Tech Board

I am looking to make up a chart of OEM XJ & MJ DS lengths for swap purposes. I'm more than happy to contribute this chart to the NAXJA tech archives. Please correct me as necessary...

This chart will take the measurements of all known stock OEM Xj & Mj drive shafts from Center of U-joint cap to Center of U-joint cap.

I believe that a good first step may be to list the known possiable OEM combinations. These I do not know. I will try to measure mine tonight.

Some of the characteristics that affect DS legnth are:

1. XJ or MJ

2. 2-dr or 4-dr

3. 2wd or 4wd

4. Engine 2.5L, 2.8L, or 4.0L

5. T-case NP 207, NP 231, (NP 242?)

6. Rear axle D-35c, Chy-8.25, D-44

Mine is a 1991 XJ, 4dr, 4wd, NP 231, Chy-8.25. DS-L=

I don't mean to be rude, but may I ask why this is relevant to anything? I'd be happy to measure my DS, except I threw it out 2 weeks ago.:anon: Sorry

Ary

Ary:

Check down a couple of threads - Eagle suggested to Whitfimb as a by-product of his axle relocation project.

Actually, this might help some folks as they crawl around boneyards looking for spares. BTW, I'll go look again, but IIRC - I seem to recall every DS being different on my group of 2 door, 4.0, BA-10, AX-15, AW4, 231/242, D35/D44, various height rigs.

Might be useful to write all this down.

Mike in NJ :patriot:

Ary'01XJ said:
I don't mean to be rude, but may I ask why this is relevant to anything? I'd be happy to measure my DS, except I threw it out 2 weeks ago.:anon: Sorry

Ary

Because, subtle difference in lengths among similar driveshafts may or may not make them good swap canidates for lifted rigs. If a shaft in one application is slightly longer than another application it might be a cheap alternative to having shafts lengthened/shortened. You could just go to a junkyard and get a shaft to suit your needs on the cheap. For instance, the front driveshaft in automatic XJ's makes for a perfect rear driveshaft on lifted, SYE equipped rigs while the front shaft on 5-speed equipped rigs is too short. My spare rear shaft used to be a front shaft out of a auto XJ while my spare front is out of a 5-speed XJ. I got lucky when I pulled my spares but it would have been nice to have known the lengths ahead of time. That said I don't know what mine are off my head but next time I unload my spares I could measure them.

I guess this chart may have limited use since the SYE is often considered a must, BUT being a Cheap A$$ ... I still have visions of moving the rear axle back an 1" or 3" and cutting enough sheetmetal out of the way to run 33's - 35's with 4 -5" of lift and the stock Rear Drive Shaft. I would even consider lowering the crossmember 1" if it became a must. Guess I'm just having a hard time justifying the $500 - $600 for the SYE and new 2xCV shaft for a $600 XJ. If mine was a $4500 XJ Daily Driver, No Problem, But mine never will be. Only rocks I'll ever see is GWNF Dictums Ridge, Uwharrie, or Paragon, and then maybe twice a year if i'm lucky. Rest of the time will be Fishing, Hunting, Running the Beach at Hatteras / Ocracoke, and general Central Va Swamp Mudding. I can drive it easy if I gotta and I'd be willing to cary spares and bust up the stock stuff as used parts here at the U-pull it are cheap.
If I Chopped off way to much or bust my Jeep all to pieces I can just pull the engine, hit the auction and deposit another $300 - $400 and play again. If I begin to blow out a T-cases / drive shaft more than once a year then I might look at a SEY, otherwise I guess I'll just be hard headded. :anon: :twak:

I have not even considered the Front drive shaft. I didn't even realize that they are close in legnth. :eek:

Maybe we should include the front also ???

Edited to include trans and engine size.

Mine is a 1991 XJ, 4dr, 4wd, 4.0HO, Auto?, NP 231, Chy-8.25.

Front Drive Shaft Legnth = Rear Drive Shaft Legnth =

Ok, I'll play!

Went in the garage and crawled under the 84. This might be what you need. My 84, 2.5L, AX-5, NP207 XJ rear has a length of 36" maybe a little shorter.I was thinking the same thing the other day but now it occured to me that the 2.5L, AX-5 combo probalby has the longest DS there is. Except maybe a 2WD MJ. I also have a 91 DS AW-4 and 242. It is 30.25" not sure of the axle that it was bolted to though. HTH!

Back