• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help!! won't start

METAL MONKEY

NAXJA Forum User
just got in the xj to go home, and no start. it turns over fine, but doesn't even come close to firing up? any ideas? it's a 95 5sp if that helps.

thx

ok, forgive my lack of knowledge, but where is the cps and how much are they if that is the case? does the fuel pump have a low hum when you turn the key to acc? i didn't think to check for that. as for the plugs, i did a tune up last may. i guess i can pull them to see if they are fouled up. i ended up taking a comany car home, so I'll have to check in the morning.

Fuel90 said:
ok, forgive my lack of knowledge, but where is the cps and how much are they if that is the case? does the fuel pump have a low hum when you turn the key to acc? i didn't think to check for that. as for the plugs, i did a tune up last may. i guess i can pull them to see if they are fouled up. i ended up taking a comany car home, so I'll have to check in the morning.

1 of 1,000's CPS thread

Most common crank but no-start culprit. I notice your fording picture, that's often not good on the CPS since it sits on top of the engine bell housing.

Fuel pump should run for a few seconds when key turned-on but it will shut-off after reaching system pressure. I use the schrader valve (like a tire valve) on the fuel rail to check for pressure. Be careful, that stuff burns very easily.

i know, i know. should have searched first. i did find a diagram of where it is. thanks XJXJ for the thread. answer my question about how much it is. i guess that will be the first place to start.

thx

ok, new cps, fuel pump primes, pressure in fuel rail, have spark to ignition module, and spark plugs have spark. it still won't start. what else should i check. oh, btw when i ohmed the old cps it read 4M ohms, and so did the new one. could it be possible that the new one is bad also? i'm running out of ideas.

Fuel90 said:
ok, new cps, fuel pump primes, pressure in fuel rail, have spark to ignition module, and spark plugs have spark. it still won't start. what else should i check. oh, btw when i ohmed the old cps it read 4M ohms, and so did the new one. could it be possible that the new one is bad also? i'm running out of ideas.

Either you aren't using your ohm meter correctly, new CPS has the same problem as the old one (highly unlikely) or the wiring/connector is roached. Normal CPS resistance is about 200-300 ohms. 'Gotta get that happening before moving on to the cam position sensor which works in conjunction with the CPS to determine engine firing order for the fuel injection. If that isn't working, no fuel. But 1st, get to the bottom of your funky CPS ohm readings.

let me make sure i'm checking the cps correctly. i was putting the meter across the first two prongs. it read 4 Mohms. i tried all other variations with all three prongs, and all readings were basically open. would the cam shaft sensor prevent the jeep from starting?

Last edited:
I've got a repair manual here and it says to:

check the starting circuit for broken, loose, or disconnected wire connections.

It could be a loose distributor

The timing chain might be faulty or worn and that is affecting valve timing.

Just some other things to check if you already haven't.

If you need more info on how to fix something, give me a holler and I'll give u a break down of the steps to fix it.

Good Luck.

update. i replaced the cps, and still no start. i continued to check the fuel pressure, check. checked spark to ignition module, check. spark plugs, check. called my mechanic. he said to check fuses, use a pulse meter on injectors. so went to autozone got a $7 pulse meter(?) to check injectors. still didn't fire. wait a minute, forgot to plug in cps. nope no fire. pulled fuses to double check and finally started up. i did check codes, but it only gave me a 55, which is end of message. in the end, could it be i needed to reset the computer to clear the error before the jeep would start again. i would like to know for future references for any other sensor failures.

thx

Fuel90 said:
update. i replaced the cps, and still no start. i continued to check the fuel pressure, check. checked spark to ignition module, check. spark plugs, check. called my mechanic. he said to check fuses, use a pulse meter on injectors. so went to autozone got a $7 pulse meter(?) to check injectors. still didn't fire. wait a minute, forgot to plug in cps. nope no fire. pulled fuses to double check and finally started up. i did check codes, but it only gave me a 55, which is end of message. in the end, could it be i needed to reset the computer to clear the error before the jeep would start again. i would like to know for future references for any other sensor failures.

thx

Like a big dumbass, I didn't notice until now that you have a 95. The '91 and later CPS is slightly different from my Renix experience. I dunno what the DC resistance should be for a non-Renix CPS but I'm glad to hear you got going again. Those newer ECU's seem to like being reset after doing anything to the system.

no prob. according to chiltons, it still should have been around 175 - 235. don't recall exactly. anyways, i'll just remember to always reset the system after changing any sensors.

thx

Back