• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help asap rear bearing swap out!!

mudder

NAXJA Forum User
can anyone tell me how to do this? or does anyone have a link that can tell me how step-by-step? I'm running out of daylight and i have to work tommorow, any help would be great thanks ohh is should tell you that it's and 8.25 and a 2000 sport sorry i didn't include that, but in a hurry :)

Last edited:
no one can tell me? a link will do, I have searched but nothing specific on bearing change that i have found.

Last edited:
What bearing are you trying to change? Your post isn't very specific. Rear main bearing in engine, rear axle carrier bearing, rear axle pinion bearing, or rear axle outer (shaft) bearing?

BTW -- aside from the fact that forum rules prohibit "bumping" your own threads, you're posting in the middle of a work day. Don't you think it's a bit much to expect detailed instructions within 20 minutes?

Last edited:
lol eagle, sorry about that I was kinda in a state of panic, it was rear axel bearing. and I wasn't "bumbing my threads" on purpose as you stated. I noticed I misspelled a few words and edited them bumping my thread back to new. It was 5pm here and I was despreate, was hoping for a quick response or a link that someone may have had. at the time there was 15 people scanning OEM. all is well though I put it back together and will tackle it tommorow after work. my apologies for thread bumping and not making myself clear enough for any reasonable help. although if you have any insight on my issue at hand, I would love to hear it, or mabey a link? :) thanks!

Just did mine and its no big deal. Rent a bearing puller, the slide hammer type from autozone, its just a deposit. Secure the vehicle, put the rear end up on jack stands and remove the wheels and brake drums. Open up the diff and drain the fluid. Assuming you have an open carrier, rotate the carrier around until you see the retaining bolt that keeps in the mating pin (big silver pin about 1/2" diameter) that the spider gears rotate on. Remove the retaining bolt, it's got loc-tite on so it can be a pain, and remove the mating pin. The spider gears may or may not fall out, but don't worry. At this point go to the axles and push them in, they will stop at about 1/4" of travel. Look in the diff and you can now see the c-clip on the end of each axle. Grab the c-clip with needle nose pliers and pull it off the axle(s). At this point you can carefully remove the axles from the housing. Look for any galling, pitting or excessive wear where it runs on the bearings. If bad, you may need to replace. Read that as not cheap.

So, now grab the bearing puller and install the correct size fingers to pull the bearings. Slide it in behind the bearing and catch one finger so it will rotate the other finger into position and you are ready to slam away. Don' t worry about the seal, it will come out with the bearing. Be carefull with your fingers and don't get them in the way of the sliding weight. Believe me. Pull the bearings and inspect, more than likely they will feel slightly rough. Its way amplified with the weight of the vehicle on them though.

Clean out the bearing pocket, they usually have some sealant in there, you may elect to reseal with a little silicone around the bearing retainer, but personally I've had no problem leaving them without. If your rental puller came with an installer, change over to it or locate a socket approximately the same size as the bearing. Position the new bearing carefully with the numbers facing you, and use the socket with a light hammer to tap into place. Be patient here, you will feel the difference tapping when the bearing is seated. Repeat with the seal. Smear some bearing grease around the interior lip of the seal, it will help with its job of keeping in the diff fluid. Wipe off the axle and very very carefully insert thru the new seal and bearings and into the diff and thru those bearings. Push all the way in so you can re-install the c-clips, and then pull the axle out to seat the clips in their retainer pocket. Repeat for the other side if you're doing both (might as well). If at this point the spider gears have fallen out, you can re-install them by rotating the carrier around until you can fish them in at just the right place and re-install the mating pin and retaining bolt. The spiders can be a hassle, but be patient and you will see how they mesh. Take a good look beforehand, too. When you are all assembled, wipe out the bottom of the housing and all the goo and metal particles down there, check the rotation and function, re-install the diff gasket/cover, and fill-er-up with fluid. Do all this under the cleanest circumstances you can, bearings don't like dirt.

I think I covered it all, if anybody sees a mistake just pipe up. Should take around 2hrs if you're working by yourself and on the floor like I did. Good luck!!

Last edited:
Try this...

Axle_tube_bearing_instructions.JPG

HTH

thanks guys, helped out alot :)

Back