• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Bumpers

Which is the best Front Bumper

• Warn Rockcrawler Bumper W/ Grille Guard Tubes

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Custom 4x4 Fabrications new Trailblazer Bumper

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • C-Rok's Low Profile Front Bumper

Votes: 37 36.6%
  • Arb's Bull Bar Front Bumper

Votes: 34 33.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lickdj

NAXJA Forum User
Im kind of stuck between a few front bumpers that are similair in price and style.
Im looking to get a 12,000 lbs Milemarker hydraulic winch so im not sure which one of these is capable of handling that I know some are rated only to around 10,000 lbs.

IT has to be a bumper capable of holding a winch , have a good approach angle and of course be strong as hell.

Last edited:
I haven't seen the design of the C4x4 bumper, but the C-rok definitely has better approach angle than the Warn or ARB, and I'd be willing to bet it's stronger and has a better mounting system as well. Greg (C-rok) is a great guy to deal with as well.

Jeepin Jason said:
why are you looking at a 12k MM winch???

So that i can be overprepared.

Jeepin Jason said:

Thanks those are the first really detailed pictures of the c4x4's bumper , you opted not to get the bar overtop , any particular reason. Do you think it would be strong enough to hold a 12k winch. I notice you use synthetic line , do you think it was worth the extra cost , does it get beaten up easier then cable.

Last edited:
Rigid front bumper with frenched-in light holes and grill guard. W/ Ramsey 8000. You can get too heavy in front of those front coils.

lickdj said:
So that i can be overprepared.

Thanks those are the first really detailed pictures of the c4x4's bumper , you opted not to get the bar overtop , any particular reason. Do you think it would be strong enough to hold a 12k winch. I notice you use synthetic line , do you think it was worth the extra cost , does it get beaten up easier then cable.

They had sent me a PreRunner bar for the bumper (that's my XJ in the pics on their site if you didn't recognize it), but my bumper is actually a preproduction model, and the PreRunner bar mounting holes didn't line up correctly with the bracing under the bumper, so I couldn't mount it. Mike offered to fix the bar for me or send me a new one, but I'd kinda gotten used to the bumper-only look, so I passed. Plus it keeps my lights below hood level, so there's no back-glare from them at night.

I had their PreRunner on my original C4x4 winch bumper though.

http://jeepin.com/projects/prerunner1.jpg

It would certainly be strong enough for anything you'd be doing winch-wise in a Jeep, I just don't know if the MM12k would fit it though. The winch cradle on their bumpers is wide, so it should fit, assuming it's not a lot bigger around than a Warn 9500.

As for the synth line, I absolutely think it's worth it. We've run it on both our Jeeps for over 2 years, and sell both MasterPull (what we've got on our Jeeps) and ORO X-Line ropes. It can get damaged easier than steel of course, so you have to be a bit more careful when using it (that's why all the ropes come with chafe guards), but the safety, handling, and weight benefits make the rope more than worth it in our book.

The MM 12,000 has the same bolt pattern as the Warn winches at 10"x4.5". Im running the MM 12K on my Ford F150 with a Warn mount.

For my XJ Im leaning towards the Warn bumber with out grill guards, it one of the better priced ones for $490 at Rusty's. Im still looking though. I plan to move my MM 12K from my ford to the XJ when I get a bumber. This Rigid bumber also looks sweet. http://www.rigidco.com/FbW.htm

I also read somewhere (can't remember where) that the MM 12K only weighs like 9lbs more than the Warns.

Last edited:
Don't mess around get the RIGID bumper the first time. The mounting system that comes with the bumper is SOLID!!

Didn't vote. Saving for the one Dan Turner sells at "Loose Nuts". His price for NAXJA is real close to the Rigid bumper and has the same "through" mounts that are used, D ring mount goes all the way through to the frame with long extensions that use all the bolt holes and then some.

If your lookin for something a'lil different, Detours is now offering a front bumper for your XJ.
It's a tube style, sits nice & high, winch & recovery ready, increased air flow
and features extended mounts.
The site is lacking the 'update' but it can be seen in 'custom fab.' section at
www.detoursusa.com

:us:

I didn't vote. I have a Warn but if I were to buy a new bumper I would probably take a closer look at some of the others. At the time I was buying what I knew from other vehicles.

Nothing wrong with the Warn - but there is a lot of choise out there for the XJ so you do yourself a disservice by not looking them all over closely.

I would have a liked a little more front approach angle. I have to have the tube work though to deflect deer.

r@m

91xjsport said:
My only question is why a hydraulic winch? If the engine isnt running ie. submarine in water the winch wont work.

Yea I know that the winch wont work if the vehicle isnt running , however its just the thought of being able to do continuios long pulls without worrying about the winch , For some reason im just really attracted to getting a hydraulic winch , partially probbly because not very many people do have them.

As for the water part with 8" of lift and a snorkel if im not able to run my engine due to water then im not prepared well enough , if it came to that id have someone else winch me out and then lift the jeep higher.

Hammertoe said:
With a 6" lift & 33's, the approach angle on that Detours model is 54 degrees.

I Really didnt want a tube bumper but i kind of like that one , any idea how much $ it costs , for the right price I would buy it but if its in the same price range as the rigid and c-rok then I wouldnt buy it.

Yea, again sorry.....website should have updated with this by now....
It's $425.......
Winch & recovery ready, 2 recovery points, increased air flow, drilled & tapped
to accept your front plate (behind upper tube), driving light tabs, upper light
tabs by request, 2" removable reciever which mounts under your winch
available as a $35 xtra........mounts- 1/4" plate along side rails much like what
you've seen elsewhere with additional mounting points up front.(sorry, cant
load pics from here, should be able to suppy via email though)
Sandblasted/primer 'sealed' black, wieghs 65lbs.

lickdj said:
Yea I know that the winch wont work if the vehicle isnt running , however its just the thought of being able to do continuios long pulls without worrying about the winch , For some reason im just really attracted to getting a hydraulic winch , partially probbly because not very many people do have them.

If you do end up getting a hydraulic winch....... it will become the single most disappointing purchase you make for your Jeep.
There's a very good reason you don't see more people running hydraulic winches........ they suck.

When Mile Marker first introduced their hyrdraulic about 10 years ago, it was all the rage just because it was a new thing on the market. People quickly realized it's drawbacks.
The not being able to winch with a dead engine in one very big drawback. I've needed to winch on a dead engine quite a few times.
Another huge problem with hydraulics is the loss of the ability to steer and winch simultaneously. They are valved to allow you to steer while winching but the fluid power needs to go to one or the other; winch or box. When you steer, you stop winching.
The speed of hydraulics is insanely slow. Like aggravatingly slow.

I know that electrics can overheat and need time to cool on long pulls. But I've never seen it happen on a single pull. The only time I saw it occur was when we had to winch about 40 vehicles out of Pritchet Canyon in Moab years ago. And letting it cool for 5 minutes was not a problem. That was one winch - 40 vehicles.

About the only advantage I see to hydraulics is that they are about 20 pounds lighter than a comparable electric.

You'll also never, as in never, ever, have a need for 12,000 lbs of pulling power. I've pulled my 6200lb Jeep up a vertical wall with only a half spool run out and I run a 9000lb winch.
If you really ever do need more, you can always snatch block to double your line strength. Heck, a snatch blocked electric will still probably pull faster than a hydraulic.

It is certainly your choice on which winch to buy, but don't be lured by the "uniqueness" of a hydraulic. If you want reliability, proven history and performance - go with a known and go with an electric.

You don't see too many people running Kia Sportages on the trail either - doesn't make it a good reason to get one to go wheeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back