• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Immediate Help!! Omfg! What Am I Missing!?

TroyAndEddie

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I go to replace the cat, since there is rattling underneath. Take it to the muffler shop....THERE IS NO CAT!! :eek: Well, I get the cat and the muffler replaced...but still have that rattle. So I drive it around a bit trying to locate the source. I get home leave it in idle, crawl underneath...and I'M MISSING A COVER!! I can see the flywheel as clear as day!! What the heck is that part I'm missing and can the flywheel rattle?!? Could it be loose?! :eek:

PICS: This is inbetween the oil pan and the transmission. That piece (cover?) is missing and I can see the flywheel.

100_0356.JPG

100_0356.JPG

100_0358.JPG

Looks like the bolts are backing out...this is a somewhat common problem with the AW4's. Put a lil locktite on them and run em back in.

The piece your missing is called an inspection plate.

I've been driving like this for 3 days (bought it 3 days ago.) But I can't figure out what would be rattling right there. The rattle IS coming from right at that spot. I'm gonna get under there right now and tighten them up.

I believe those inspection covers are fairly inexpensive from the dealer. I've paid more for certain bolts than that cover. Better get that cover back on so a rock doesn't find a new home in your bell housing.

If those bolts backed out enough to lose the cover you may wanna make sure the other bolts in the vicinity are tight. I just went through an ordeal with missing bell housing bolts that caused my flexplate to eat my CPS for lunch.

good thing you checked it out and found it before it came off and really did some damage but yea get the other 2 bolts and put some lock tight on all of them and just crank them down on there

TroyAndEddie said:
I've been driving like this for 3 days (bought it 3 days ago.)

'Probably why it was for sale and I hope you gotta good deal. Lucky you learned this is/was a common problem. I bet the previous owner wished they had asked here if that's why they sold it?

Just as a side note. In most states, it is illegal to sell a vehicle with smog equipment removed. It might even be a federal law. I've seen dealers have to pay to have the cat put back on after having sold a used car with it missing.

Lucky you found it b-4 you had real probs., just replaced my flywheel, bolts backed off and flywheel cracked all to hell. I'd try and find another inspection plate, why get a bunch of crap up in there when you don't have to.

Here in Texas it is a $25,000 fine to the muffler shop if a muffler shop removes it if you do it yourself it is illegal as well and you get some sort of ticket unless it is 24+years old (clasic car) meaning 81 and older vehicles.:lecture:

Well, I bought it dirt cheap (to the tune of $200) from some guy who had beat it up and neglected its need for maintenance. Poor thing. :( It needed MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH more than just these couple of things, but now I'm only down to finishing the suspension, brakes, and steering mechanically. And yes, that is coming a long way compared to last Saturday. The front bumper needs to be replaced and the driver's fender is pushed in a bit; but nothing a rubber mallet and a few good strokes won't cure. :)

Is this a 2-part cover???

From the pix he posted, it looks like the plate under the starter is separate, and still present. Ours is covered in oil/dirt sludge from a leaky rear crankshaft seal (car is new to us, haven't fixed this yet), so I really can't tell if there's a seam.

I wanted to pull the cover and look at these same bolts last weekend, but my pickup was broken at the time, and it looked to me like I'd have to pull the starter to get the inspection plate off. Since it was our only working car at the time, I decided to wait until the truck was running before going this deep.

From the looks of this, I shouldn't have to pull the starter loose. Is this correct?

19Pioneer86 said:
Here in Texas it is a $25,000 fine to the muffler shop if a muffler shop removes it if you do it yourself it is illegal as well and you get some sort of ticket unless it is 24+years old (clasic car) meaning 81 and older vehicles.:lecture:

pretty much a federal law as it is the same in Oregon and Washington down to the "T".

Safety wiring these bolts would be difficult. The general principal of safety wiring is to use the other bolts in the assembly to hold each other tight. if other bolts aren't adjacent, as in this application ( they are some distance from each other), a stationary point right near each bolt could be drilled to hold the wire in tension. There just aren't any points near these bolts on the flex plate to tie off to. Running wires from one bolt to the next would result in long spans of wire ( a pain to twist nicely without proper pliers ), which would probably break soon enough from the centrifugal forces generated by the rotation of the flex plate.

Back