• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's the sensor on top of the clutch housing called?

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
What's the sensor on the top of the bellhousing called? Somebody told me it was a crank position sensor, the FSM diagram seemed to call it a magnetic speed sensor, so I'm not sure. Are these synonymous? Anyways, if you're looking from the rear of the vehicle it sits at about the 10:30 position and has 2 bolts that hold it in. It has a magnet in the end that positions over the flywheel I believe. I accidentally ripped the wires on it while putting the tranny back in. TIA.

That is indeed the crankshaft position sensor CPS. Without it, the engine will not run.

Thanks. Do those go bad as other sensors do, or is a junkyard model as good as a new one generally?

xj92 said:
Thanks. Do those go bad as other sensors do, or is a junkyard model as good as a new one generally?

It's basically a coil of wire inside. As long as the enclosure/casing is intact and undamaged so that moisture hasn't gotten inside and/or the flywheel hasn't touched it, I see no reason to use a new CPS. Mine's 15 years old with +260k miles and haven't had any issues since splicing the connector out of the picture.

The CPS doesn't seem to go bad as much as the wiing can, but when it fails it's a mother to replace and often overlooked in the diagnostic process. Often, simply unplugging the CPS from the harness can clean the contacts enough to allow function but it's a crapshoot if you are going to use a junkyard one, as I recall they aren't terribly expensive

$58 at AutoZone and $25 at the junkyard. I have a junkyard one on the way. I'm not troubleshooting a problem that I think might be the CPS; I accidentally ripped the wire right where it enters the CPS while putting the transmission back in.

The biggest cost from a junk yard is the labor to pull it. Do you have a pull-n-save type yard local? I paid somewhere around $2 for mine. I always keep a spare under the back seat. That way I can be guaranteed that the sensor will never fail :laugh3:

I know of one yard to pull stuff from but don't know if they have Jeeps and don't have time for it :(. The joys of working under time constraints.

Back