• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter Problems Continue

tnxjjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I had the starter go out on my 89 Cherokee. I had it rebuilt, but now there is another problem. When you start the car now, the starter still continues to turn. Not only does it sound aweful, it will burn the starter up before too long. The Cherokee was my daily driver for over a year and it never did this before. Any of you guys had a similar problem? I really need to get this fixed to I can start building this one.

Thanks
Chris

The over ride clutch in the starter is bad or the starter drive gear does not have enough clearance at the sun gear flywheel ring/sun gear. The latter would cause a very shrill screech after the engine starts.
Tom

You have to figure out wether it´s electrical or mechanical. Most probably mechanical. The drive gears in the starter, don´t want to disengauge from the flywheel/flexplate gears. Makes a pretty good racket when this happens.
Some mechanical causes, could be the spring in the solenoid sticking, the solenoid plunger rusty and binding, the gear sticking on the shaft or the bendix sticking. Mechanical/electrical combination could be the contacts in the solenoid sticking (they sometimes spot weld themselves when the non-ferrous coating wears off). Or the contacts in the starter relay sticking.
I´d bench test it and see if the gear/bendix stays/hangs in the engauged position. Check the fork pin, the pin the fork pivots on, so the solenoid can pull the fork rearwords to push the gear forwards (gear end of the starter being front).
Haven´t seen it on a Mitsubishi (jeep) starter, but on many GM starters thee is a thrust washer between the gear and the bearing end, so the gear doesn´t go in to far.
If it´s electrical it can heat up your starter pretty quick, if it´s mechanical it can heat up your over running clutch.
If you test it with a pair of jumper cables, make sure it´s tied (held) down pretty good, it jumps when engauging. Put the nuts onto the electrical connections before, putting power to it, the juice will mess up the threads pretty fast.

Back