• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hi all, new here.

Rick1975

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all. Been checking out the boards here for about a week or so since I got a 85 XJ. While I have been gutting out interior for cage and spray lining, I have been brainstorming plans for my build-up. I have nothing but time for this, so not a prob if I need to save up for some things. I have been looking at tried and true things other people have done and have come up with the following:

Engine: 2.5L getting pulled for small block V8. Not sure if I am going crate or finding a donor and rebuilding.

Transmission: TH700r. Have heard it is a good way to go for durabilty in Jeeps and has the Chevrolet 90 degree pattern found on the small block engines (Generations I, II & III) making it easier to mate up engine and transmission.

Transfer Case: No idea here. Have read a little up on the Atlas II 4.3 being a good option, again looking at the ease of mating up to the rest of the drivetrain. Was also told a flipped d300 would work just as well, but less costly. I am unsure of the term flipped, so if you could explain would appreciate it.

Axles: Dumping the d30 and selling the 8.25. I want to go full size axles and of course the d44/9inch option has my eye. What year and model Fords am I looking for as donor vehicles? I thought I read pre-90 F250's were where to look. Just a side note, I think there is a d70 on one of the busted down work trucks at my construction yard. So fantasies of a d60/d70 set-up might not be too far off..hehe.

Well that is all for now. I hope to get some pics up of the XJ up so I can have it be a wip in photos to share with you all. Take care.

Thanks alot, nice site for info. I checked that busted down truck in my construction yard today and for all purposes looks like a d70. It is a Dodge Adventurer Sport. Old dualie work truck with a stake bed on it. I am trying to find info on it right now. If anyone might be able to point me in right direction, much thanks.

Welcome to NAXJA. The small block route is not an easy swap, but several have done it. Lots around here like to take the Jeep 4.0L and make it into a stroker. The power and torque are quite good. The nice thing is that you simplify your swap a bit because all the parts are stock and cheap, but remember that the 85XJ has the radiator moved back, unlike the newer 87 or so bodies. I did the 85 2.5L to 4.0L swap. It took a bit of work. A swap that I've seen local that is a lot easier than a small block is the Chevy 4.3L V-6. It gives you more room in the engine compartment and is a workhorse.

The front radiator crossmember issue is going to plague you with any swap. Be ready to do some sheetmetal work. Keep us posted and take lots of pix.

Thanks for engine info. Well verified the axle in the busted Dodge truck is a d70. It is in real nice shape, and is free so might as well look into that as an option. I have a question though, what is the difference, if any, of the width between a dually d70 and a non-dually d70? All I have read so far says something like a 69" width without any differential between the d60 and d70, dually or not dually.

axles out of a 78-79 bronco hp44 and 9 is a good swap... 65" wms to wms. also i think that f150 have the same wms to wms as the old bronco

welcome aboard :cheers:
brandon

A d70 is a huge rear end. Comparable to a 14 bolt, you'll need some big meats to get it up off the ground. I think most people run a D60 front, XJoachim and D70XJ are running the combo I believe, definetly PM them for some opinions!

I talked with Ash who was running a d60/d70 combo before he went with a 14bolt rearend. He got me some info on it, and looks like I have my rear axle....a d70..hehe. Now for my d60 front...oh where, oh where is my d60 front?

best investment -
membership at NAXJA

try searching www.car-part.com for parts at local wrecking yards...

now you have to decide on your front end suspention system -
Radius Arm
Long Arm
Short Arm
Leaf Spring
Wishbone 3 Link

Back