• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vacuum lines rear axle?

Jeeppie

NAXJA Forum User
We just came across some broken/rotted vacuum line near the rear axle. I am trying to figure out what this operates. The car seems to drive just fine and the 4x4 works too. The line is broken right at the plastic T connection and the line hooks up to a hardline and goes to the front.
I am ordering a shop manual tomorrow, I hope I can find one that is better and more complete than the little Hayes book.
The Jeep is still an '88 Cherokee bone stock, but that will be transformed by this summer.
Thanks,
Martin.

That the vent line for the differential. They just run a hose to a higher water line - that hight above the ground for real people - so the air/pressure can get out of the differential. You should also have one on your front differential and it runs up next to the brake master cyclinder.

This is done so when you ford deep water so air and water does not come in that hole at the top of the differential.

Glad it is not something to cause any real problems then. I will get some tubing tomorrow and hook it all back up again.
Thanks for your help Martin.

Martin.

i ran my rear breather up to the gas fill my t case and front dif are up to the master

It sounds like a gas tank vent to me. The differential breather tube does not have a tee connection and does not run to the front of the vehicle. Depending on the year, it does run up and plug into the "frame rail". The only rubber tube with a tee connection is the vent on the top of the gas tank.

Not entirely true Tom - my old C8.25" had a tee fitting for the breather, while the D44 is offset by a few inches. I don't recall where it was on my D35 though, which is most likely what the original poster has.
rr_brake.jpg

Your right Yucca, but he said plastic tee. The tee I think you are referring to is really the brass unit that splits the brake lines to each wheel. It is held in place with a hollow bolt that the breather hose ties to.

The T is simple black plastic no brass. I will check in just a little while and see if I can get some more details for identification purposes.

If the jeep has or ever had air shocks and/or the factory air compressor on the firewall it could be leftovers.

It has never had airshocks. This Jeep was bought new in '88 by my sister in law and has been in our family ever since. Now my middle son is the owner ($ort of)
I am sponsoring him to do this offroading/ rockcrawling stuff.

I believe what you are seeing is the vent that comes off of the tank in two places and is tee'd together. It then goes along the frame(drivers side) to the emission canister in the engine well.

Good Luck
Ken

It does sound like the vapor recovery hoses that are on top of the fuel tank. At least that's what a 96 that I stripped looked like.

I think you are right. One hose seems to come from above the fuel tank. I will hook it all back up sometime this week and let you all know, on this thread what it all goes to and comes from.

Back