• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

throttle body

xjrugger

NAXJA Forum User
there was a company that was selling them for like 250 then 100 dollar return for the core. does anybody have a recollection of what company this was? I want to get a 62 mm bored throttle body for my 88 4.0 where do u guys recommend? and also do i obviously need a better air intake and should i do different injectors? like ford 19lbs?

You can also check out Artsounds on E-Bay. I think he is $109 plus the core. I think he does 58.5 or maybe 59.5. He was trying 60-62mm bore, but he was having problems. He usually has exhuast cat-backs on e-bay for Cherokees and Comanches.
Tom

75SV1 said:
You can also check out Artsounds on E-Bay. I think he is $109 plus the core. I think he does 58.5 or maybe 59.5. He was trying 60-62mm bore, but he was having problems. He usually has exhuast cat-backs on e-bay for Cherokees and Comanches.
Tom
I tried to look him up.....are you sure the name is artsounds?

Which is a better TB, the 58mm or the 62mm. Not sure I am understanding the difference other than less restrictive. Also, why would a 62mm be less expensive than a 58mm?

Silent

nateo101 said:
I tried to look him up.....are you sure the name is artsounds?

Yeah, I was checking these out last night on ebay. "artsounds" has a TB for the 91+ as well as one for earlier years listed at $129 BIN. XJ-armour has a couple of each listed as well. XJ-armour powder-coats thiers a bright reddish orange and are listed at $155 BIN.

Artsounds and XJ-armour are both boring to 62 right now it appears... Earlier years need the spacer though I believe.

WHAT IS A GOOD RECOMMENDED AIR INTAKE??? I was looking at Turbo City's Rock-it for $119 without a filter, as well as K&N's Cold air set-up (FIPK) kit for about $200 on ebay. I've also seen simple intakes with just a fabricated straight intake tube with a simple K&N filter running for about $50. (XJ-Armour is selling these as well) Any feedback???

I'd stick with the stock airbox and a drop-in reusable filter like an Airaid, K&N or Fram AirHog. I've run 3 different cone setups on our XJ's, and I'm back to the stock box with an Airaid filter.

If you want to go with a cone filter kit, get one that uses a shield around the filter, like K&N's, Airaid's, and AEM's kits.

xjrugger said:
yeah whats the difference between the FIPK or the simple straight tube 59 dollar air intake?

1. the K&N name ads some to the price
2. the heat shield is the main thing, and IMHO the most imporant thing.
3. the FIPK uses a composite intake tube, vs a piece of PVC or exhaust pipe stuck in the stock corrugated intake tube.

this:
kn_fipk.jpg

vs this:
ebay_sup_5.jpg

Jeepin Jason said:
I'd stick with the stock airbox and a drop-in reusable filter like an Airaid, K&N or Fram AirHog. I've run 3 different cone setups on our XJ's, and I'm back to the stock box with an Airaid filter.

If you want to go with a cone filter kit, get one that uses a shield around the filter, like K&N's, Airaid's, and AEM's kits.
"THEY" say that by having a straighter intake tube, it will be less restrictive and allow air to flow better resulting in more HP... Do you not find this not to be true, by switching back to the original airbox and intake tube??? Or did you notice any difference in power? What made you decide to switch back?

I know this thread is about Throttle Bodies... Anyone using a bored out TB in conjunction with a HP Air Intake setup notice a significant increase in both HP as well as fuel economy???

BoXJer said:
Or did you notice any difference in power? What made you decide to switch back?

Cone intakes whistle at certain rpm/throttle positions. My last one happened to whistle right where I cruised on the highway on my drive to and from work. Eventually I got tired of it and swapped back in the stock box. I felt NO difference in power going back to the stock box and a paper filter. The only reason I currently use and recommend a rusable filter (K&N, AirAid, etc) is to reduce waste (ie: throwing away a paper filter every 3k-5k miles).

I've tried nearly every type of bolt-on exterior performance mod there is (3 intake kits, 1 header, 2 cat-backs, 1 high-output ignition system, bored-TB, TB spacer) and none made any difference at all in mileage.

YMMV. ;)

Jeepin Jason said:
I've tried nearly every type of bolt-on exterior performance mod there is (3 intake kits, 1 header, 2 cat-backs, 1 high-output ignition system, bored-TB, TB spacer) and none made any difference at all in mileage.

Well, that could put a kink in my plans. Do you do any highway driving? I'm working on my Daily driver, and want a bit better economy and figured a more efficient burn would do the trick. This was my initial reference:

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/brandpages/jeep/131_0403_jeep/

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/brandpages/jeep/131_0403_jeep/index1.html

Whaddaya think? Waste o' money???

BoXJer said:
Well, that could put a kink in my plans. Do you do any highway driving?

~50 miles a day, and up until last summer it drove to every wheelin' trip, usually towing a camper.

Only thing I've ever done that improved mileage was run some AutoRX and Seafoam through the engine, oh, and regearing for the larger tires.

edit: that's not to say that you for sure wouldn't see any gains with those mods. The guys in that magazine article claimed like nearly 3mpg gain. I've talked to guys who've done similar mods as me and they swear up and down that they've got way more power and maybe even a little more mpg. I can't say that I never saw such gains. Of all the things I've tried on my XJ, the ONLY thing I thought enough of to do on our TJ was the bored-out TB. We're running a magnaflow exhaust on the TJ because we had to due to the long-arm kit, and we've got an AEM BruteForce intake kit on it because we were sent it to review. Otherwise it'd still have all stock exhaust and intake, other than the bored-out TB.

Last edited:
Back