• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

K&N intake kit - Yes or No

A lot of people have done creative things for a fraction of the cost of a kit.

What year?

Mike #300

i was thinking of doing the same thing but then i thought i would just save my money and build one my self with just the price of a filter and looking for some tubes that would fit

Wait awhile til people get home from work and you'll get more replies; I'll take a photo asap and you can see what I did on my '98.

I plan to make a heat shield based on some other posters' excellent ideas soon.

Mike #300

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7951800889&category=38634

thats the first one i clicked but theres a boatload of sellers that have the same/similar setups for sale. i just built my own, with 3'' abs pipe and a 8" k&n cone filter, works great for only a 45 intake system. everyone has there own style they like, i would get caught up in the heat shield thing, they can handle a substancial amount of heat and where its postioned your gonna the best amount of cold air flow you can expect.

Sean

Last edited:
From a wheeling perspective, wouldn't a k-n become a giant vacuum for water/mud on fairly deep crossings? I mean would it be worse than the stock one?

They sell K&N filters for the stock air filter intake box. It works exactly the same as far as filtering and is alot cheaper. I use mine mainly for filtering out long dry dusty Forest service roads that I use alot. When I use to change my "paper" filters I always saw dust layers inside my air intake tube, I don't see that anymore. The key though is to use the silicone sealent they give you in those leak prone areas.

I use Rusty's airtube ($29), K&N cone filter ($45) and use an air-raid throttle body spacer. It's a sweet combo, and even better with my Banks torque tube header. Very well aspirated, but I don't ford deep water so have never had to worry about the setup sucking in water. Seems like I'd get my sneakers wet if I was that deep anyways :).

I got a fake K&N cone filter from AutoZone ($30) and put K&N oil on it, then I got a piece of 3" exhaust tube (free scrap from local exhaust shop) and flared one end out a little. The flared end fits nicely where the stock box used to hook up to the hose and the 3" end fit perfectly into the cone filter. I then cut the stock airbox to shield it from heat.
Billy

3" steel exhaust tubing; one 90° and one 45° elbow, 3/16" plate for the flange and a K&N on the other end.
Jeep_AirTube_finished.jpg

nice work bro! i have the kn intake, its good, but it is expensive. if moneys not really an issue, go for it

brandon

Back