• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lunchbox Strength

TrailHunter

NAXJA Member #1309
I am wondering if anyone has ever broken their lunchbox locker or related parts. I really like the aussie locker and I have yet to see anyone that has broken the locker itself. I understand the carrier is the weak link when compared to a detroit. Have you guys ever broken the carrier? If so, what axle, gears and tire size where you running?

I broke my lock right.....c8.25 axle, 4.56 gears, and 33s. It took over a year though....and most of it was still there. I just broke 2 pins and the windows the pins go in.

The carrier was fine.....I don't know that a lunch box type locker would affect the carrier during a break.

Brian
www.projectxj.com

Been running a Lockrite in the front for over 3 years, first 32's the 33's, now 35's seems fine. also ran a Lockrite in a D35 for a year, the a D44 rear for over a year. Never any problems.

32" TSL, 4:56 ratio, stock motor/tranny D30/35.

I installed my gears and a lockrite in the front a few months back and took the truck for a spin. I apparently forgot two tiny shims that go on the outside of the locker and this caused the locker to stay engaged. As I turned on the street the wheels were locked putting strain on the unit. I had the wheels cranked and was giving about 1/4 to 1/2 gas. The tires screeched and after about 15 min of abuse it gave a loud pop. We took it apart, replaced the sheared pins and it was good to go. Oh yeah, we put that pesky shim in too.

I have a Powertrax in the D35. Out of the blue one tire quits working. It had NO power going to it. Pulled it apart and found out that the internal ring of teeth had shifted slightly so that the teeth could not engage. I rotated it about 2mm and it was fine. Also broke the synch ring.

fatwreck said:
I broke my lock right.....c8.25 axle, 4.56 gears, and 33s. It took over a year though....and most of it was still there. I just broke 2 pins and the windows the pins go in.

The carrier was fine.....I don't know that a lunch box type locker would affect the carrier during a break.

Brian
www.projectxj.com

I have seen pictures where the locker was fine, but the carrier broke apart from the forces put on it.

DO NOT go w/Genuine Gear Quick Loc...at least untill they iron out all the kinks.

I broke TWO in my 44, on THE STREET, after 50 MILES.

:mad:

The Lock-Right in my YJ grenaded after about six months of use. It's the typical story; the pins broke but everything just held in place. I never really noticed anything was wrong because the vacuum-disconnect D30 made everything transparent in 2WD. In 4WD, however, turning became much harder. I finally realized what happened whenever I pulled the diff cover to change the fluid and little pieces came falling out :). I was running 4.56 gears and 33s with a four-cylinder and manual transmission.

This could have just been a manufacturing fluke, but I'm still not convinced with the strength of the Lock-Right. I'm going to see if I can get a free replacement from Richmond Gear. For some reason, my buddy wants to buy it from me even after all these problems ;).

i think the lockright is only warrantied to work with like 32's or 33's

not that you could not just tell them you were running 31's when it broke

I ran Lockrights in the frt and rr.(35) of my TJ. Started with stock tires, and gearing, but now have 32" TSL radials and 4.10's. I put this thorugh much abuse, and @ 50K or so miles of daily use. The frt. has never given any trouble. The rear I have broken two crosspins, one stock and one hardened. This second recent break also damaged the gears and Lockright beyond use. I'm now buliding a 44 w/ a Superior kit, but it took me a long time to decide not to just use another lockright w/ it. Mine survived 3 broken ring and pinions, and a broken axleshaft in someone elses Jeep during a short period when I thought I wanted an ARB. Ended up getting it back from my friend and reinstalling it after the ARB broke.

TrailHunter said:
I am wondering if anyone has ever broken their lunchbox locker or related parts. I really like the aussie locker and I have yet to see anyone that has broken the locker itself. I understand the carrier is the weak link when compared to a detroit. Have you guys ever broken the carrier? If so, what axle, gears and tire size where you running?
I have broken front LockRight, actually sheer pins are the week point.
I am thinking about Aussi locker.
LockRight laset 2 years w/o hard core useage!

I ve been running a Aussie in the front with 35's and 4.56 gears for about a year now and no problems at all. Aussie also has no tire limitations.

Back