• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 chain/rebuild kit

I just bought a rebuild kit from www.mad4wd.com for the NP231 t-case. It's really not that hard; I rebuilt the same case for my friend's 1995 YJ. I bought my buddy's kit from www.nationaldrivetrain.com, but their price has gone up (from $75 to about $100). Chains run about $50.

I've found that for as simple as this transfer case looks inside, unless everything (especially the front output yoke!) is loosened, it won't fit back together easily. Make sure that you have air tools to remove the pinion nut and to reinstall it. Snap ring pliers and an oil seal puller are pretty much required to do a quality job. Varying diameters of pipe and/or metal cylinders are useful for removing bearings without damaging the races.

If you've ever rebuilt a manual transmission, this is a piece of cake. I'm planning on spending no more than an hour rebuilding mine, but anticipate a few hours if you're new to this type of thing.

Back