• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Skyjacker heim joint replacement

R

roke40

I'm looking to replace the heim joints on my Skyjacker control arms with Johnny Joints from Currie. Has anyone done this? I'm trying to determine which Johnny Joints I need to order. Skyjacker lists their ends as 1.25" for the lowers and .75" for the uppers. Currie doesn't have anything that small listed. The smallest size they list is 2". Are they both measuring the same way?

I may not 100% about this but I belive the skyjackers measurement is either the inside dia. of the hole or most likely the dia. of the threaded area. While the Curries measure the size of the race (shell) with the threaded area measured seperately. Hope this helps.

Skyjackers is measuring the thread on the heims and Currie is measuring the width of the joint. I know someone that is trying to do the same thing and says it should work, but I don't know the details. I would measure the width of the brackets to make sure they are the same as the axle. I know the axle is 2-5/8" wide. The 2.5" JJs are actually 2-5/8" wide which they don't mention, so they fit perfectly there.

You also have to consider the threads on the JJs. The 2.5" JJs with studs have 1" thread which won't work with the lowers having 1.25" thread. You can buy the joints and weld them on yourself. Their studs are just a bolt welded to the joint. The only other thing to consider is the lenth of the JJ compared to the heim. If their different, it will change the overall lenth of the control arm.

I know of 4 people (myself included) that have done this swap. Currie should know exactly you need unless you got a rookie answering the phone.
What SJ lift do you have RR6" or RR8"?
For the LCA joints on these lifts you'll have to the Tera 'johnny joint'. They come left & right hand threaded.
The Currie joints for the UCA only come in a standard thread.

My Tera LCA joint:
johnny_joint.jpg

JEEPZZ said:
I know of 4 people (myself included) that have done this swap. Currie should know exactly you need unless you got a rookie answering the phone.
What SJ lift do you have RR6" or RR8"?
For the LCA joints on these lifts you'll have to the Tera 'johnny joint'. They come left & right hand threaded.
The Currie joints for the UCA only come in a standard thread.

My Tera LCA joint:
johnny_joint.jpg

how much did they get for the johnny joints? where they alot

I got them when they first came out (Tera). They didn't even have a part number assigned to them yet. I got the first set sold to the public for $40 a piece. I'm sure they are more than that now.
The design has also changed; the grease fitting is now on the end of the main bolt that goes through the joint (like the Currie joint) rather than want you see above.

The Currie joint (for the UCA) currently lists for $48 on their website.
ce9110s.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have a Rock Ready kit. I've got the arms that came with the 3" single flex kit. It's got Heim joints at the axle end on both the lowers and the uppers and plain old poly bushings on the frame end.

Yes, the Single and Double-Flex kits use the same heims as the RockReady kits do. A good friend of ours started with the SJ double-flex kit on his XJ, but got so tired of dealing with the crappy heims wearing out all the time, that he finally just replaced them with RE arms. I actually think he's replaced all the SkyJacker parts from his original kit with RE parts now, but he's also running 5-6" of lift now too.

i love my kit. not to sure about the cradel yet. i might make my own set up. but the long arms are great. i was thinking about puting the johnny joints in. i'll have to save for them 40*4= 160 for joints. but i love how you can grease them

Back