• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1-2 gear lock mod on 97+ XJs throwing codes, and other problems?

CheapXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I understand that if you tap the shift solenoids directly on obdII XJs that it throws codes, aside from that, does it cause any other problems at all?

let's say someone were to pull the bus transmit line to logic low, while tapping the shift solenoids, would this stop it from transmitting the code?

the reason I ask, my second 42re in my 01 WJ is pretty much on its last leg and I'm not putting another chrysler POS tranny in it. I want to program a basic stamp to run it like one of those tiptronic trannies, and since the WJ has them stereo controls on the steering wheel, I'm gonna have it take input from those buttons for upshift/downshift... essentially it'll be like the shifter paddles on an F1 racecar.

this is getting dropped in w/ a stroker if I can get it built before my current tranny takes a dump.

there's only .5" difference in transmission length, so once I swap out the cv front driveshaft for a real driveshaft (one with u-joints)

I just got done putting an aw4 in a 95 ZJ, and the only real issue was w/ the t-case shifter linkage, the WJ uses a cable shifter for the t-case so that's a non issue and it's a complete bolt in swap, only needing modifications to the wiring. it was actually pretty simple to put it in the ZJ.

I've got a friend working on a manual shift modification for the AW4 right now, and I don't think he's done with wiring a bypass feature yet. I'll see if he can give me some info on codes - he's been running a modified manual-shift AW4 in his TJ for awhile now with no problems.

He hasn't tested it on XJs yet - although mine might be his first.

It also hasn't been tested at low speeds for any duration with the torque converter locked up. He's got several AW4's ready to roll if it blows up seeing which settings are bad for the tranny.

No promises, because he's been fairly tight lipped about the whole thing. Maybe I can coerce him with a couple of beers to share a secret or two.

I'll post back with any findings.

CheapXJ said:
I understand that if you tap the shift solenoids directly on obdII XJs that it throws codes, aside from that, does it cause any other problems at all?

let's say someone were to pull the bus transmit line to logic low, while tapping the shift solenoids, would this stop it from transmitting the code?

the reason I ask, my second 42re in my 01 WJ is pretty much on its last leg and I'm not putting another chrysler POS tranny in it. I want to program a basic stamp to run it like one of those tiptronic trannies, and since the WJ has them stereo controls on the steering wheel, I'm gonna have it take input from those buttons for upshift/downshift... essentially it'll be like the shifter paddles on an F1 racecar.

this is getting dropped in w/ a stroker if I can get it built before my current tranny takes a dump.

there's only .5" difference in transmission length, so once I swap out the cv front driveshaft for a real driveshaft (one with u-joints)

I just got done putting an aw4 in a 95 ZJ, and the only real issue was w/ the t-case shifter linkage, the WJ uses a cable shifter for the t-case so that's a non issue and it's a complete bolt in swap, only needing modifications to the wiring. it was actually pretty simple to put it in the ZJ.

Talked to my friend - they're doing something similar to you in a 2000 TJ.

He was fairly ambiguous, but to make a long story short, you can cut the power to the TCU to keep from getting codes, *BUT* you'll be locked in the whatever gear you were in when you cut the power.

Back