• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More tire questions....

Jump This

Just another minion!
Okay..before any of you wise arses start in on your 'use the search mode' crap...I have, and I'm just not that patient...okay? :wierd:
I'm going to replace my BFG AT's. Presently I'm running 32's and my son needs some new rubber for his XJ also...soooooo...I'll turn over my 32's to him and pick up a set of 33's for me!
Already running 4:56's and Detroit lockers...
I'm thinking ....well...I'm thinking I need some advice...
the AT's are wearing quickly with the lockers and a lot of road use....
the new tires won't see as much road use...(I think).....
not worried about price.....I'm used to taking it up the tailpipe when buying new tires....(will need 5)
But value and function...that I am interested in....
Run all kinds of terrain....sand....mud....rocks....you name it....
I know...I know....and I am ready to hear all about it!!
Rick R :lecture:

I would look at (in this order):

Swamper Trxus M/T
BFG MT
Firestone Destination M/T
ProComp M/T

I am sure that there will be a bunch of kudos for the Goodyear MT/R. I have not had any experience with them personally so I can't say. It seems that they tend to be priced a little higher than other tires in that category. I have had poor experiences in the past with Goodyear products so, I tend to have a preconceived negative opinion of Goodyear tires.

Good Luck

just like the ones at the top of RKBA's list, the swamper trxus mt
cant kill em' offroad, decent onroad and cheap
that way you dont have to take it up the tailpipe too!
dont expect the same gas mileage as with the at's

Only two opinions about tires??!!!
You gotta' be kiddin' me....
I'm so dissapointed in you all..... :speepin:
Oh....wait....isn't there that football thing going on today?
Okay...I'll wait for some more responces after da game...
Rick R

well - swampers will give you the best off road performance, but wear very quickly based on their soft rubber componet.
I have abour 30K on my BFG AT K/O's and about 45% tread remaining... but then again - my tires are aligned and about 5000 of thoes miles were in 4 days - driving from CA to NE 3 times

My Goodyear MT/Rs have been really great tires. No problems or complaints. The ride pretty well on the street and so far they've done a good job of keeping up with Super Swampers. I image that they're not quite as good as the Super Swampers off-road, but they're a whole lot better on-road.

As a sidenote, check out the latest issue of Jeep magazine, they've got a ratings section on tires this month. I got mine in the mail a couple of days ago, so if it's not on the newstand yet it should be within a few days.

Robert

I'm not much into Magazine tire tests.....some mags. need to bend to advertisers wishes and thus they end up with biased views....
Swampers....? TSLs? or ?
I'm leaning toward MT/Rs at the moment...heck...even comtemplating a set of rock crawler wheels....
Thanks for the input...
any more?
Come on Mike R....what is your tire de jour?
RickR

I love my 34 X 10.50 LTB's! Very noisy on road but great off road, can't tell yet about how fast they wear because I don't drive it much if I'm not wheelin' it.

Hi tech retreads. I got 50 k on my firts set 45 k on the second and the third are due for a change at 55k, Oh yeah 5 tires will run you about 300 bucks.

I work for a local municipality here in GA and we began using MTR's on some of our 4x4 utility vehicles about 4 years ago. I think they're awsome. We've gotten great mileage considering that theses vehicles stay on road about 95% of the time. If we're off road its usually in mud. Not terribly noisy for a mud terain either. Of course the flip side is that the county buys them at about one third of the price (government contract) you or I would pay. My cost locally from Goodyear for a 31x10.5 would be about 180.00 each. OUCH! Too much for me right now.

Back