• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny install

xjrockrawler21

NAXJA Forum User
Any tricks on getting the tranny lined up into the pilot bearing. i got the tranny lined up with the disc gears i just can not push it into the pilot bearing. it only has to go in another 1 or 1 1/2. i have a 96 4.0 and ax15.

my friend just put his motor back in with a ax15... all the jerkin we did to it ruined the pilot bearing and he called his mechanic to help him get the motor attached... its justa bitch to do... if u can line it up close enough to get the bolts in thats fine... everything shouldline up right... but good luck man its a PITA

xjrockrawler21 said:
i only have about a 1/4 " and i can get the bolts started on the clutch housing. its just moving that 1/4" thats the bitch

Make sure the dowl pins (at about 3 and 9) are lined up and the the tranny and engine are on the same plane and get behind it and push and wiggle like a freak and it should go. If not there IS something wrong.

Yes, there should be two alignment pins (AKA dowel pins) that will have to be aligned to allow the tranny to slide in. What I found to be the most critical was keeping the tranny and the motor in the same plane to get the input shaft to slide in. I used two floor jacks on my XJ to allow me to adjust the fore and aft of the tranny, a tranny jack would have been a real time saver. Also, try putting the tranny in gear and turning the output shaft to relieve binding as the input shaft slides into the pilot bearing. And last, I've always found it easier to get the input shaft to slide into a pilot bushing rather than the newer style pilot bearings, which don't ever seem to last either. Good Luck

Woody

Back