• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my 90 wagoner 4L is backfiring through the intake

zebulon

NAXJA Forum User
please help. while cranking the engine backfires through the intake. bad timming. how do i time it.thanx for your time.

bad timing. I put new piston rings and over head job on it. New cap, rotor, wires, and plugs. I went to go and start it up the first time it backfires through the intake. I went by the sh$t@ss manual and got the same results. thanx for the time.

Here's my write-up on how to index the distributor:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/dist_index.html

The procedure is basically the same on your non-HO 4.0. When the no.1 piston is at TDC on the compression stroke, the rear tip of the rotor should be just past the no.1 spark plug wire terminal on the distributor cap.

hey doc, thanx for the help. i followed your proceedure and i have a thumping sound in the engine. it sounds like it wants to start the it boggs down.

just a thought and I know you have checked this but are plug wires on correctly (going from the correct spot on the cap to the right plug)? This may seem like a stupid response but its always the simple s$$t that will have you running around in circles.

BigDadys94xj said:
just a thought and I know you have checked this but are plug wires on correctly (going from the correct spot on the cap to the right plug)? This may seem like a stupid response but its always the simple s$$t that will have you running around in circles.

Not stupid at all. That's a good call.
Another thing to check is to make sure the injector wiring harnesses are plugged into the injectors in the right order.

Back