• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 or other?

94XJ4x4

NAXJA Forum User
Im thinking about swaping my rear axle with a dana 44 or 8.8 this summer in anticipation of larger tires in the future (35's). I was wondering if there was a better option or which one you would chose? Any suggestions? I was thinking of going to try to find a 44 off of an XJ so it will just bolt on easy. But some people say the 8.8 is better. And I'm just a rookie so any info would be great. Thanks.

-Tim

8.8 will be cheaper. like $250 for a newer one. a 44 is $300-$350 for a rough one

8.8 is 31 spline, 44 30 spl
8.8 ring gear is bigger
8.8 has discs
44 is semi floating, 8.8 is c-clip

really XJ brackets are pretty easy though, 2 spring perches and 2 shock mounts

some 8.8's are like 27 spline (mustang and rangers i think) you want one out of an exploder or mountaineer

Im going to get the axle out of one of the "junk" yards around here no matter what it is. how will i know it's an 8.8? and what year explorer do i look for?

just thought of something else.... i havnt looked into the 8.8 to much i just know what you just told me basicaly. is width the same and what about bolt patern?

With is like 5/8" less per side but nothing to really worry about as long as your wheels are already offset but some people run spacers. The bolt pattern on 8.8 out of explorers is the same as XJs. Also I think all the rear axles out of explorers are 8.8s with the main difference being like 96ish? Don't know on the specific year but they switched to discs in the rear, which would be much nicer.

If it's under an explorer, it will be an 8.8. The only thing you'd have to worry about is spline count, which isn't the same for every explorer. Just don't go looking under a ranger or a mustang, and you'll be ok.

Did you mean spline count is or isnt the same on all explorers? just covering my bases so i dont buy the wrong think. Thanks for all the replys by the way. I'll have to head down to rathies junk yard tomorrow and see whats kicking around.

91 Jeep Project said:
And FYI, look for a 8.8 from a '95 and newer explorer, it will have disc brakes and the 31 spline shafts you are looking for........ :pig:

That's pretty much what I would go for. If I was gonna put all the work into it I wouldn't wanna waste my time with drums, but thats just me.

LouisianaZJ said:
8.8 will be cheaper. like $250 for a newer one. a 44 is $300-$350 for a rough one

I just picked up a dana 44 yesterday for 106.00. It has new brake hardware and a limited slip. The deals are out there it took me about a year to find this one.

If I wouldn't have found this one I would go the route of 8.8 though.

Go for a Tacoma 2wd V6 axle.

They are better than 44s and 8.8s.

PM me if you want more info on them, or search under my name and you'll find what ya need.

Fergie

slowrider said:
The 44 is stronger and if you want higher gears than 456 it's the only way to go from what I hear.

Well you heard wrong...

the 8.8 vs Dana 44 argument is highly debated with pro's and cons on both sides...http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27655&page=1&pp=15&highlight=8.8+strength

If you're interested, there's a few threads on here that actually post load strength charts and detailed measurements...

Throwing a vague comment without being able to back it up is counterproductive to what info this guy is looking for...

btw... Motive Gear offers 5.14 gears for the 8.8 and I'm sure others do as well

91 Jeep Project said:
Don't be an ass, there is no need for it.

Tim, a search on a topic like this will yield some great information and help to keep you from asking the "newbie" questions.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44943

I think this is one of the better threads on rearends. Pretty recent with alot of good input and alot of different options........... :paperwork
ya know if you read my first two posts there you would see i had given him more than enough info to do some more research on his own.
im not going to wast time pulling up a pic of an 8.8 when a search easily reveals the answer

thanks for the rating btw,
D44 or other? 02-06-2005 16:13 fuckball

as for the person with the 4,56 comment
you are confused with an 8.25

I read an article in one of the 4x4 rags about axle strength and it was a bit confusing (for me at least). The stock D44 had a strength advantage over the 8.8 in some feilds covered. The extra strength available in the aftermarket is where the 44 has an advantege. I haven't owned any Toyota's but I've seen more birfeilds broken than anything on the other axles. Not to mention the D44 is a direct bolt in which is nice. The 8.8 is easier to find but requires a little more work to fit up. Which ever works for you is the best option.

Back