• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Input shaft bearing

xjrockrawler21

NAXJA Forum User
How do you tell if the input shaft bearing on the tranny is good or bad. I pulled the tranny out last night. the input shaft seem good, it doesnt move up or down, or in and out. and there is no tranny oil leaking out.

I've always just stuck my finger in there & tried to rotate the inner race. If it goes easy, it's probably still good. However, it's pretty cheap to replace, just go ahead and do it. A lot of people say it's a bear to get out, but I have always had no problem using a slide hammer w/ a bolt attachment. I took a bolt that screwed into the hammer & ground off one side of the head, leaving a little tab on one side, placed it behind the bearing, & pulled it out. Make sure to put some heavy grease on the input shaft when you re-install the trans, to make it easier to seat.

Back