• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 outer axle stamped sheet metal piece?

Jeff 98XJ WI

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I got my Warn outer D44 front axle shafts recently and they did NOT come with the stamped sheet metal piece that the seal that rides against the rear of the spindle fits on. Anybody know what that part is called and have a Spicer part number for it? Jeff

Are you referring to the backing plate? Sorry, I don't have a part #.

Jeff 98XJ WI said:
Hey guys, I got my Warn outer D44 front axle shafts recently and they did NOT come with the stamped sheet metal piece that the seal that rides against the rear of the spindle fits on. Anybody know what that part is called and have a Spicer part number for it? Jeff

Oh, are we supposed to put one of those on?

:D

(two weeks)

:)

So Richard, do you west coast (no rain/mud/slop) folks really leave that piece off? I took a look at Matt's broken Warn shaft shown here some time ago and that piece was NOT on his shaft in the photo. So do you leave the seal off too? The seal fits over the lip of this stamped sheet metal piece and the back of the seal presses against the rest of the stamped sheet metal piece. The seal then rides against the back of the spindle and "seals" out contaminents from getting into the spindle from the rear. I don't know what it is called and haven't been able to find an exploded view of a D44 front end with part numbers or at least descriptions. There is actually another small seal that does basically the same thing as the one I'm talking about. It rides right on the outer axle shaft and the ID of the spindle. Maybe you guys keep that seal but toss the other one? Jeff

I'm pretty sure that Timken makes that part. I can't find my reciept but I replaced those when I built my 44. I was able to find them on a parts diagram but there wasn't a reference to them.

Why don't you just take the ones off your existing shafts and put on the warns? I wouldn't worry about them for a spare.

The little spindle bearing seal gets trashed pretty quick in mude without that larger one wiping it first.

That's the one I was thinking of. There is also a plasic spacer to keep the shaft from bottoming out on the back side of the spindle.

I searched around Timkens site and found the seal but not the tin flange. I know six states has them because those dumb shits gave me one once when I was getting a new oil baffle for the pinion. You might try them.

Good luck.

I believe its just called a dust shield. I think it may come with the outer seal kit. Checker p/n BK1.

-Jon

Back